• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Killing Time Before 4e Comes Out

I've lost all interest in 3.5, as I'm too excited by the prospect of 4E. I was going to start another game soon, and I'm thinking about 1E, or B/X. Or buying Holmes - I've never played an edition that early.

I've got nice copies of the 1E hardcovers - I replaced them all when I moved to the 'States. The smell of the binding takes me back and I get all nostalgic. :)

Has anyone else felt the urge to play an earlier edition with 4E now on the horizon? Maybe I want to understand 4E in the context of the whole game, not just 3.x.

Are you bored? How are you going to kill time before 4E comes out?

Wormwood

Adventurer
I've SERIOUSLY toyed with the idea of breaking out my old Moldvay Basic & Expert Sets and using it to run Red Hand of Doom.

Imaro

Legend
Just a suggestion...why don't you try something besides D&D. That way you can see 4e from the perspective of game design throughout the entire hobby, instead of WotC/TSR game design.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sepulchrave II said:
Has anyone else felt the urge to play an earlier edition with 4E now on the horizon? Maybe I want to understand 4E in the context of the whole game, not just 3.x.

Yes. Unfortunately, one of my players would only suffer one session of oD&D.

So, if I can get the players, we'll play some Star Wars Saga edition instead.

(Otherwise, my two 3.5e campaigns are merrily proceeding along!)

Cheers!

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm thinking of running a Tales of the Jedi era Star Wars Saga campaign, but I'm also digging on Burning Wheel and Riddle of Steel lately.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Imaro said:
Just a suggestion...why don't you try something besides D&D. That way you can see 4e from the perspective of game design throughout the entire hobby, instead of WotC/TSR game design.

D&D is my happy place.

In the past five years I've run All Flesh Must be Eaten, Mage, Vampire, Buffy, Call of Cthulhu and a very memorable Dogs in the Vineyard.

All excellent games in their own right, each with unique design innovations and memorable play experiences.

But I always come home to D&D.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sepulchrave II said:
I don't like other RPGs. I like boardgames, though. I've been playing War of the Ring a lot.

I find War of the Ring to be one of the most exhausting games in my collection. It doesn't take longer that many of my other games, but the decisions that need to be made... eep. Love the game, though. :)

Cheers!

breschau

First Post
The last D&D campaign I played in used 1st Edition rules with the proficiencies/skills from 2nd Edition. You should have seen me go cross-eyed when the DM reminded me that Elves can't advance passed 11th level Magic-User, or Dwarves can't be paladins.

Wow, I didn't think 1st Edition was racist until I played 3rd Edition.

Tewligan

First Post
breschau said:
The last D&D campaign I played in used 1st Edition rules with the proficiencies/skills from 2nd Edition. You should have seen me go cross-eyed when the DM reminded me that Elves can't advance passed 11th level Magic-User, or Dwarves can't be paladins.
Gaah - stop, you're making me jealous! Oh, to get into a good ol' 1e game again...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads