• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just discovered Castles and Crusades

@crazy_cat
Someone mentioned getting some here:

They run out of stock often, but do get them in slowly.
That's the place! I knew that I had read the name of some store when I was last on the Discord, but I couldn't remember, and I hate using Discord.

Jahydin

Hero
Okay, I think this is the way I'm going to start using SIEGE. As usual, it seems 100x more complicated to explain in words than it does in practice, but I'll give it a shot...

1. One Challenge Base (CB): 16 that gets better by 1 every other level
2. Select 3 Prime (+3), 2 Secondary (+0), and 1 Non-Prime (-3) attribute at creation.
This breaks up the monotony of good/terrible checks and also makes more rolls possible.
3. Challenge Levels (CLs) are now determined as follows:
Easy: -3, Average: 0, Hard: 3
4. Write your Challenge Classs (CCs) for each attribute (CB - Prime Bonus - Attribute Bonus + CL). These are the numbers you need to beat to succeed.

For Example, a Lv6 Fighter with a Prime Str stat of 16 (+2) would have CCs 5/8/11.
(13 (CB) - 3 (Prime) - 2 (Str) + each CL)

So let's say he needs to make a Str check to bash a door down. The CK decides that's a pretty Easy task since the door is old and wooden.
He rolls a d20 and gets 9. He then just looks at his sheet and says, "I have an Average success".
CK lets him know he succeeds.

Next thing to tackle is Saves. You still compare level, but now only increments of 3 matter. So a LV1 Fighter Saving vs a 4 HD creature has to make a Hard check. If the creature were 3 HD, then the Save would be an Average check.

Last mechanic to add is Advantage/Disadvantage in situation where it makes sense.
Two ways to do that:
Like 5E or just assign different difficulties to different characters. For instance, if the Ranger wanted to track it might be an Average challenge, but for the Cleric it would be Hard.

Note: CLs could keep climbing if needed. Heroic: 6, Legendary: 9 for instance. But since 90% checks will be Easy - Hard, that's what goes on the sheet!

bulletmeat

Adventurer
Okay, I think this is the way I'm going to start using SIEGE. As usual, it seems 100x more complicated to explain in words than it does in practice, but I'll give it a shot...

1. One Challenge Base (CB): 16 that gets better by 1 every other level
2. Select 3 Prime (+3), 2 Secondary (+0), and 1 Non-Prime (-3) attribute at creation.
This breaks up the monotony of good/terrible checks and also makes more rolls possible.
3. Challenge Levels (CLs) are now determined as follows:
Easy: -3, Average: 0, Hard: 3
4. Write your Challenge Classs (CCs) for each attribute (CB - Prime Bonus - Attribute Bonus + CL). These are the numbers you need to beat to succeed.

For Example, a Lv6 Fighter with a Prime Str stat of 16 (+2) would have CCs 5/8/11.
(13 (CB) - 3 (Prime) - 2 (Str) + each CL)

So let's say he needs to make a Str check to bash a door down. The CK decides that's a pretty Easy task since the door is old and wooden.
He rolls a d20 and gets 9. He then just looks at his sheet and says, "I have an Average success".
CK lets him know he succeeds.

Next thing to tackle is Saves. You still compare level, but now only increments of 3 matter. So a LV1 Fighter Saving vs a 4 HD creature has to make a Hard check. If the creature were 3 HD, then the Save would be an Average check.

Last mechanic to add is Advantage/Disadvantage in situation where it makes sense.
Two ways to do that:
Like 5E or just assign different difficulties to different characters. For instance, if the Ranger wanted to track it might be an Average challenge, but for the Cleric it would be Hard.

Note: CLs could keep climbing if needed. Heroic: 6, Legendary: 9 for instance. But since 90% checks will be Easy - Hard, that's what goes on the sheet!
Why are you lowering the CB? Wouldn't it be easier for the player to:
A) roll a d20, add level, add modifier
And then the CK can:
B) take CB 12 or 18 (depending on the prime/non-prime of the player) and add a difficulty number to it, between 1-20 to get a number to roll equal to or above?

Jahydin

Hero
Why are you lowering the CB? Wouldn't it be easier for the player to:
A) roll a d20, add level, add modifier
And then the CK can:
B) take CB 12 or 18 (depending on the prime/non-prime of the player) and add a difficulty number to it, between 1-20 to get a number to roll equal to or above?
In my experience, that's much easier to say but harder to do.

Namely, the "add a number between 1-20" portion. In a system where a difference of 3 means it's impossible for Non-Primes, that is quite the large range.

But even if you know the system well enough to decide something is CL 10 on the spot, I still think my way is easier because:
1. CK only has to decide if a task is Easy, Average, Hard for 90% of the rolls made. Rare occasions will call for it to be harder.
2. No adding/subtracting needed. Just roll and check your sheet if you made it.

Added bonuses:
1. CB actually starts higher (16 instead of 15), but gets better as you level. This gives you progression similar to AD&D.
2. Deciding when to add lv or not is kind of a pain and some instances ineffective. This ensures characters doing something out their wheelhouse is always punished.

Thanks for looking my house rules over!

Ugh, I wish I hadn't loaned my best friend my copies of the PHB, M&T, and CKG. His backlog now reaches through the summer, and he's already had them for four months. I don't have PDFs, and, even if I did, my retention from reading PDFs is abysmal.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Ugh, I wish I hadn't loaned my best friend my copies of the PHB, M&T, and CKG. His backlog now reaches through the summer, and he's already had them for four months. I don't have PDFs, and, even if I did, my retention from reading PDFs is abysmal.
We will execute a mission to retrieve them.

mission impossible iconic scene don't even lie GIF

Remove ads