D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I don't have to discredit anyone.
You didn't have to. You could have just not posted, but then you just had to come in this the 'they're not REAL fans' junk anyway. That and continuing this rather fascinating pivot you and other have been doing to blame any criticism on WotC on having an ax to grind.

Hussar

Legend
By this logic, 3.5 isn't sufficiently distinct from 3e to deserve calling out, and it really was the book of errata and minor updates it was originally announced as being. Or is it the adjustments to skills that would really be the line, as that's really all that's left (facing and changes to concealment maybe?) that you could otherwise call out.

I think the general premise is that this is more than errata or a new optional book, so it's got to be something, and there's a pretty established language for what that is. I don't think "5e 2024" is easier to say than 5.5, so my money is on the last one sticking.
Not really.

They completely rewrote large sections of the rules going from 3e to 3.5. Compare the initiative rules, for example. The classes often worked considerably differently. It wasn't just shifting the same powers or two up or down a level, it was fundamental changes to the basic framework of the game. For example, the Ranger going from 3e to 3.5:

Just about every aspect of the ranger changed.

• HD from d10 to d8
  • skills from 4 to 6 per level
  • two "paths" to pursue gained at levels 2, 6, and 11 (no TWF at level 1 anymore)

• TWF: TWF, Imp. TWF, Greater TWF
  • Archery: Rapid shot, Manyshot, Imp Precise shot
- Favored Enemy is completely different
  • bonus is +2 at each level now
  • damage affects those immune to crits
  • every 5 levels, you get +2 to a new enemy and +2 to an existing one
  • spell list changed (no polymorph self, add in barkskin and commune with nature)
  • free endurance feat
  • swift tracking
  • woodland stride (re: druids)
  • evasion
  • Hide in Plain Sight (in the forest), Camoflage (hide in woodland setting without concealment)
Wild Empathy is no longer a skill; it's a class feature. The bonus is simply "ranger level + Charisma modifier".
It's no longer as front-loaded and has enough abilities that I can't picture leaving it before 13th-level (when you get Camouflage).
Animal companions have gone from being worthless to just being sucky.

And that's the changes to ONE class. Never minding that virtually every class got the same level of reworking going from 3e to 3.5.

What changes in 2024 compares to that?

No one looking at a 2014 character sheet and then looking at a 2024 character sheet would have any problem understanding anything on that sheet.
I mean if you look at a 3.5 or 4e and 5e sheet you see str dex con into wis and cha, hit points 2/3 of them have HD and where the exact details may change they are all roll 1d20 and compare to a DC>
Why should I respect this opinion that is obviously just ludicrous on its face? It's typical edition war naughty word that we've seen get trotted out over and over and over again every single time WotC tries to do something that is even remotely "new". So, no. Fifteen years of the same tired old arguments doesn't warrant a whole lot of respect anymore.
if you don't want to respect our opinions please leave us alone

It's just the same old song and dance from people who've already decided that they want nothing to do with WOtC and just want to grind that axe just a little bit more and piddle in the pool so that no one else can possibly enjoy something that they don't like.
you do realize several of us still buy WotC products and are undecided on this new edition?

Hussar

Legend
I mean if you look at a 3.5 or 4e and 5e sheet you see str dex con into wis and cha, hit points 2/3 of them have HD and where the exact details may change they are all roll 1d20 and compare to a DC>
I'm pretty sure that someone looking at a 4e character sheet would have some difficulty being able to parse it without reading the 4e rules. If all you knew was 3e, or 2e for that matter, a 4e character sheet is pretty different. And I say that as someone who is a massive fan of 4e. Going from 3e to 5e, where's your Touch AC? Flat Footed AC? What is your Fortitude saving throw? What do you roll when someone drops a fireball on your PC?

if you don't want to respect our opinions please leave us alone
I would absolutely LOVE to leave this alone. But, it comes up EVERY FREAKING week. Every time WotC makes even a whisper of an announcement, the same comments come out of the woodwork over and over and over again. Every time I try to engage with the playtest, I have to wade through the cess pit of vitriol of people constantly piddling in the pool. Every change is a catastrophe. Every word from anyone who is even tangentially connected to WotC is a bald faced lie.

It's been FIFTEEN YEARS of this. Aren't you folks tired of it by now?

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
okay you got me... the change is STILL +1 but it is not the same +1
Right, which isn't a real difference, since an ASI is an ASI. There is no balance difference between a +1 to any given Avility, which the designers have said for years. That's why the Tasha's change wasn't a big deal. And so this isn't a big deal in the new books.

They can change every Class and Species, and thst doesn't change the game: Classes and Species are modular, and could even be removed without changing the rules of the core game.

I'm pretty sure that someone looking at a 4e character sheet would have some difficulty being able to parse it without reading the 4e rules.
I doubt it... it's rolld20 add mod compaire to DC, it has attacks skills and the same stats.
what on a 4e sheet looks diffrent? I guess bloodied value and Healing Surge Value?
If all you knew was 3e, or 2e for that matter, a 4e character sheet is pretty different.
how?
And I say that as someone who is a massive fan of 4e. Going from 3e to 5e, where's your Touch AC? Flat Footed AC? What is your Fortitude saving throw? What do you roll when someone drops a fireball on your PC?
it has saving throws just different labels on them... I bet ANYONE looking for what to roll against a fire ball and doesn't see Ref save but sees Dex save can figure that out.
I would absolutely LOVE to leave this alone. But, it comes up EVERY FREAKING week. Every time WotC makes even a whisper of an announcement, the same comments come out of the woodwork over and over and over again. Every time I try to engage with the playtest, I have to wade through the cess pit of vitriol of people constantly piddling in the pool. Every change is a catastrophe. Every word from anyone who is even tangentially connected to WotC is a bald faced lie.

It's been FIFTEEN YEARS of this. Aren't you folks tired of it by now?
15 years? of the playtest? what am I tired of? I upgraded from 3.5 to 4 to 5? now I am considering updating to the new one, but I think not giving it a proper label makes that upgrade harder?

Right, which isn't a real difference,
so then why change it if it isn't a difference?
since an ASI is an ASI.
so if I take a +10 to my str that is the same as a +1?
They can change every Class and Species, and thst doesn't change the game: Classes and Species are modular, and could even be removed without changing the rules of the core game.
How would you play 5e with no race and no class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads