• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Iron Kingdom Requiem

carmachu

Adventurer
Finally arrived from Kickstarter. First glance looks great!

Attachments

• 5706124C-51ED-4545-919F-919070E9D516.jpeg
    5706124C-51ED-4545-919F-919070E9D516.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 137

Weiley31

Legend
I got my copy in the mail too about a couple of days ago. It looks really nice in person compared to having the PDF. While my games are mostly Forgotten Realms, there is a ton of stuff in this book to cherry pick for your 5E games. My Warlock and Ranger player absolutely LOVE the Adventuring Company mechanic that I jacked from this book and placed in the campaign I was DMing for them. And my best friend saw the Gun Mage section and said "I want that class." Also this book pretty much has an option to play as Trolls(Trollkin) without having to homebrew anything. Seriously just a ton of good stuff. (And one can simply do some interesting things/item creation with the Mechaniks/Technology rules in this game.)

As for the Warjacks themselves, one can always reflavour/refluff them as a more in-depth version of making/commanding your very own Golem/Warforged if you were so inclined. I wasn't able to back the second kickstarter due to money issues at the time, but I plan on getting that once the backers from that kickstarter get their stuff and this becomes available to purchase from Privateer Press.

Usually, my go to choice for 3rd Party 5E cherry picking is AiME, but Iron Kingdom: Requiem would be my second go to choice for cherry picking.

carmachu

Adventurer
I have only flipped through the monsternomicon. But man I know I will pull some monsters from this book.

min also hoping for a hordes expansion. Skorne will make awesome bad guys

SAVeira

Adventurer
Got mine and not impressed by the binding. They are sending me new copies but given the screenshots and video they have shared; I am not should about the long-term survivability of the books. As someone who used to work in the book industry and a wife who is a both a library and archivist tech, the binding just look substandard. Especially if you compare to anyone else's books or the Iron Kingdoms 3.5E books.

Weiley31

Legend
Got mine and not impressed by the binding. They are sending me new copies but given the screenshots and video they have shared; I am not should about the long-term survivability of the books. As someone who used to work in the book industry and a wife who is a both a library and archivist tech, the binding just look substandard. Especially if you compare to anyone else's books or the Iron Kingdoms 3.5E books.
So far my binding has been a-okay. I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as the binding being bad.

min also hoping for a hordes expansion. Skorne will make awesome bad guys

Yeah, I backed the Borderlands and Beyond kickstarter, which introduces IK-style Warlocks and covers some of the Hordes content, and we got the first round of pdfs a while back. The content choices are a bit odd, especially when combined with what was left out of the Monsternomicon. B&B doesn't cover the skorne at all, and there's no option for playable gatormen or blindwater warlocks. There's every variety of Tatlywurm you could ever imagine in the Monsternomicon, which are nice to have but hardly integral to the Iron Kingdoms, but dragonspawn are abstracted to a mere two varieties (from the vast Everblight selection) and there's no skorne critters at all. There's no quick statbloks for NPC gunmages, warcasters etc for use as antagonists, nor much in the way of quick statblocks for warjacks. You have to play a lot of these iconic IK character types using PC rules if you want to use them as antagonists, which is annoying. And while we're at it, there's no mechanics for following Cyriss, either. PP have a bit of a history about making weird content choices for their RPGs though. The old non-5e IKRPG put out a number of huge, gorgeous hardbacks and still never got around to providing stats for Cryx critters, which is a bit like publishing an entire Dragonlance game line and never statting up draconians.

What I HOPE they're doing is making the books cover geographical areas and the people within. Requiem was the core Iron Kingdoms, B&B is mostly the nearby non-human lands of Ios, Rhul, and the kriels. They've hinted that the next expansion will also cover a place that's never really been looked at before. I'm guessing Zu given how prominent it's been in the recent Protectorate metaplot, but perhaps it'll be a part of a book that covers further-out regions like Skorne or Alchiere or the lands of Everblight too.

The bindings of the books - I'm not sure about. They certainly strike me as being a bit tenuous, the hardbacks easily fall open and lie completely flat. It's a very weird 'feel' if you're used to the way most hardback RPGs are bound, and i instinctively don't trust it to be robust. PP said in some of their posts on the kickstarter that they deliberately chose a binding method that would allow the books to lie flat while being used in game, but they've also said that a few proofs that weren't correctly bound were accidentally delivered to backers. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads