• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I guess I really do prefer simplicity

The simplicity of OD&D? Do I really want things that [forgive the pun] Basic? Even 1E or 2E, which I have always professed a preference for over OD&D and all other editions may be too complex for me. Why? Well it started with comments I was reading about software - software for character creation/tracking. I sort of decided that it's come to be an abomination. I started a list and came up with 5 elements that I personally want to see out of whatever version of D&D I play.

• It should never need, nor even instill any desire to have software to update a character sheet to calculate modifiers, or track anything else about a PC. For that matter no software EVER should be seen as needed or desired to REDUCE THE BURDEN of running/playing the game. The game should ALWAYS be simple enough to run/play without such added claptrap.
  • A character sheet should ideally fit on one side of one sheet of paper, 2 sheets at most excepting perhaps an extensive listing of spells. [Kind of goes along with the previous and following points.]
  • Character creation should be able to be done SANS SOFTWARE in 10-15 minutes (again excepting perhaps extensive spell selection). It should take less than that to update a character sheet when a PC levels up.
  • This is probably subject to a lot of variation, but the ratio of DM prep time to time spent gaming should be in the vicinity of 1:10. One minute of prep should enable a DM to run a game for 10 minutes of gaming. 5 or perhaps 10 minutes of prep and a DM should be able to run a game for an hour or better.
  • Teaching the basics of the game, including creating their first character, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes after which they should be playing the game, not still having details of its workings explained to them.
I started to list some others but they are more edition-specific nits to pick. I think the only version of D&D that can fulfull these self-imposed requirements is probably going to be OD&D or Basic. Since, as I said, I've been convinced that my preferred game would actually be a hybrid of 1E/2E that's rather an astonishing revelation to me. I've never looked at Basic again after graduating from Holmes to 1E AD&D. Maybe I need to find a copy of the RC.

I think that's funny that I don't insist on that level of simplicity from my rules, and yet my play-to-prep time ratio is usually much better than that.

I like simplicity of game-running I've decided, but I like robust and detailed rules for character definition.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
It should never need, nor even instill any desire to have software to update a character sheet to calculate modifiers, or track anything else about a PC. For that matter no software EVER should be seen as needed or desired to REDUCE THE BURDEN of running/playing the game. The game should ALWAYS be simple enough to run/play without such added claptrap.

A character sheet should ideally fit on one side of one sheet of paper, 2 sheets at most excepting perhaps an extensive listing of spells. [Kind of goes along with the previous and following points.]

Character creation should be able to be done SANS SOFTWARE in 10-15 minutes (again excepting perhaps extensive spell selection). It should take less than that to update a character sheet when a PC levels up.

This is probably subject to a lot of variation, but the ratio of DM prep time to time spent gaming should be in the vicinity of 1:10. One minute of prep should enable a DM to run a game for 10 minutes of gaming. 5 or perhaps 10 minutes of prep and a DM should be able to run a game for an hour or better.

Teaching the basics of the game, including creating their first character, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes after which they should be playing the game, not still having details of its workings explained to them.
I've played BD&D, AD&D1, AD&D2, and D&D3, and I would say each of these editions can give you these elements.

Bullgrit

Grimstaff

Explorer
I've played BD&D, AD&D1, AD&D2, and D&D3, and I would say each of these editions can give you these elements.

Bullgrit

Maybe its just me, but I've never been able to create a 2E or 3E character in just 10 or 15 minutes. Not that that's not fun once in a while too. :p

avin

First Post
The search for simplicity is a strange search.

Some of the most basic and easy fantasy games I've run used GURPS 3E... o0

Wombat

First Post
Dear Man in the Funny Hat,

I would strongly suggest you look into the game Savage Worlds:

http://www.peginc.com/games.html

It is a simple system that can be reorganized for a variety of settings (simply look at the site to the possibilities there ... and there are 3rd party publishers as well). It is quickly explainable and rather flexible. This might be a game to your tastes. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock

Bullgrit

I'd agree with this, if not for the inclusion of 3x, in which I was never able to create a character in anything less than half an hour (and that was pushing things).

Janx

Hero
let's ignore the DM side of business for a bit.

What does simplicity get a player?

A fighter? That usually the standard newbie tool to teach them the game.

A fighter at its simplest ruleset was:
know how to add up your attack roll with modifiers
know how to calculate your AC
know how to roll damage when you hit
know how to subtract damage from you HP
know how to do saving throws

At higher levels, depending on the rules, you could get multiple attacks.

What sucks about that is that once you got it down, it gets old. Thats why other classes were made, and why other classes can be percieved as more powerul. They are also more complex. Because they can do all the basic stuff, and a lot more.

D&D was traditionally played by smart people, college kids. They get the basics down pretty quickly. From there, they are going to desire more complexity, to keep it fun for them. To give them stuff to think about.

Thats why it isn't simple.

Last edited:

Remove ads