• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Somewhat unsatisfied

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

Thomas Shey

Legend
Ended up responding for PF2e since that was the game I'd had two runs of in a row. Went with Satisfied, because that's probably as good a response as one could get out of me for a D&D-sphere game; I'm really just not that fond of the basic D&D style approach, but PF2e managed to make it as interesting as it could probably be made for me.

Of course I'm old and picky, so it'd probably be real work to get Very Satisfied out of me on anything, only differences would be why.

Satisfied with my regular games. PF1 and Mongoose Traveller 2E.

Recently played systems i'm not crazy about; 5E and PF2. I think 5E is exactly what it needs to be, but im just not who needs to play it. I love Paizo to death, but PF2 is engineered way too tight for my taste. Fine system for folks who want that tho.
If you don't mind talking about it, what about 5e is personally rubbing you the wrong way? And what do you mean by "tightly engineered?"

I'm Somewhat Unsatisfied with 5e. It's what most of my existing groups want to play, and we have plenty of great moments - but most of those are either due to humans being creative/funny, or me hacking in stuff from other games that work better for the experiences I want.
What is it about the 5e system that you are having trouble with?

The regular, traditional game we play is D&D. We’ve played 5E for a decade. I’m not satisfied with it. Thankfully, we’re switching to a different fantasy system long term and will also be trying out different systems as one shots soon.
if you are ok, talk a little bit about what you are finding limiting in 5e after playing it for so long?

Finally, I have played a couple of sessions of Blades in the Dark, but it is not working well. The players are quite traditional, and find the system overly mechanises the role-playing. The experience system also means that if we pull off jobs smoothly, the combat characters don't get any advancement. I expect Sunday's session to be the last.
If you are okay, can you talk a little more about what you mean by "mechanized roleplaying" and how it rubs you the wrong way? Also, what in the system doesn't reward combat advancement?

We are currently trying to do 5E once a month (so I voted "satisfied"), alternating with OSR and other systems the other month (Pirate Borg, Shadowdark and, when I get around to reading it, Deathmatch Island and maybe the new edition of Kobolds Ate My Baby). I prefer the latter to the former, but I have players who really like the character design aspects of 5E and they can't really get those in the lighter games.
Maybe talk a little bit about why folks couldn't get into those lighter games?

Remove ads