• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

How happy are you with your regular ruleset?

• Very satisfied

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Somewhat satisfied

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Somewhat unsatisfied

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

I have three "regular rulesets" that I cycle through: 5E, Savage Worlds, and Call of Cthulhu.

I'm Unsatisfied with 5E, Very Satisfied with Call of Cthulhu, and Satisfied with Savage Worlds.

I've gone on length about my problems with 5E, so I don't feel the need to repeat any of it, suffice to say I don't think 2024 will do anything to address it.

I think Chaosium is just continually knocking it out of the park with the CoC line. 7E is great (it has some rough spots - the Automatic Fire rules are pretty atrocious) but the mechanics, adventures, and supplements are all A Tier.

I love Savage Worlds - it's probably my favorite system - but it still has some rough spots that I wish weren't there. I wish it didn't rely so much on modifiers; I wish the Companions came out at a quicker clip; I wish the Powers system was more unified (if it requires a Resistance roll or not, for example). Still, it's usually the system I start prepping a campaign for.
I should probably clarify situations with multiple systems up top and will keep in mind for future polls. If you are playing multiple systems of equal frequency, rate the one you are 'required' to play due to group pressure, simple inertia or tradition.

Last edited:

zakael19

Adventurer
I'm Somewhat Unsatisfied with 5e. It's what most of my existing groups want to play, and we have plenty of great moments - but most of those are either due to humans being creative/funny, or me hacking in stuff from other games that work better for the experiences I want.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The regular, traditional game we play is D&D. We’ve played 5E for a decade. I’m not satisfied with it. Thankfully, we’re switching to a different fantasy system long term and will also be trying out different systems as one shots soon.

Last edited:

I'm playing in AD&D1e and GURPS 4e campaigns, both of which I'm very satisfied with, and running two GURPS 4e campaigns, likewise. In all cases, the ruleset being used fits well with the setting and the style of play.

My answer in the poll was "Very satisfied" for GURPS 4e, because that's the one with the most games happening in it, and the most overlap of the groups.

I'm also playing an Honor & Intrigue campaign, where the GM always wants a slightly more cinematic style of play than I can handle. I'm partially sighted, so the tropes of TV and movie action he subscribes to are unknown and incomprehensible to me. We have managed to calm him down over the years: he had a homebrew system where the combat system absolutely required thinking like a film director, and he had trouble with the idea that this was both impossible and undesirable.

Finally, I have played a couple of sessions of Blades in the Dark, but it is not working well. The players are quite traditional, and find the system overly mechanises the role-playing. The experience system also means that if we pull off jobs smoothly, the combat characters don't get any advancement. I expect Sunday's session to be the last.

Last edited:

I'm playing in AD&D1e and GURPS 4e campaigns, both of which I'm very satisfied with, and running two GURPS 4e campaigns, likewise. In all cases, the ruleset being used fits well with the setting and the style of play.

I'm also playing an Honor & Intrigue campaign, where the GM always wants a slightly more cinematic style of play than I can handle. I'm partially sighted, so the tropes of TV and movie action he subscribes to are unknown and incomprehensible to me. We have managed to calm him down over the years: he had a homebrew system where the combat system absolutely required thinking like a film director, and he had trouble with the idea that this was both impossible and undesirable.

Finally, I have played a couple of sessions of Blades in the Dark, but it is not working well. The players are quite traditional, and find the system overly mechanises the role-playing. The experience system also means that if we pull off jobs smoothly, the combat characters don't get any advancement. I expect Sunday's session to be the last.

Wow! See the updated notes in the OP clarifying multiple systems and choose which system you want to rate. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads