• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Houserule: multiclassing

Let me preface this by saying that I like the way 4E handles multiclassing; it's not ideal in that it's somewhat simplistic and therefore limited when compared to 3E multiclassing, but what it gains in terms of balance makes it more than worth it in my opinion. The one problem I have with 4E multiclassing is the lack of balance between the class-specific multiclass feats.

I can see an underpinning design philosophy: to me, it seems like they wanted to give a taste of the power of a secondary class without making it overpowering; the power gained had to be equivalent to the power gained by any other feat. The design team's solution was to come up with a pared down version of one or more class features for each of the 8 classes. These powered down class features became the benefits offerred by the multiclass feats.

The problem with this approach is that it's very hard, if not impossible, to come up with 8 reduced class features all perfectly balanced against each other. I think many of you would agree that not all multiclass feats are created equal. (My opinion on the relative strengths of these feats: the Cleric and Warlord feats are best, followed by Warlock and Wizard, then Ranger, Rogue, and Paladin, then lagging far behind, Fighter.) As difficult as this balancing process is, it must be repeated for every new class introduced by WotC... yikes.

I've got a much simpler take on multiclass feats: instead of some slimmed down version of one or more class features, simply offer a swap of one of your primary class at-will powers with one of those from the secondary class (all other benefits of this feat listed in the PHB still apply, such as access to the secondary class' paragon paths). Pros of this approach: the same benefit is given by all multiclass feats, making them balanced by definition. Cons: surely the 4E developers considered this approach; are there any hidden pitfalls that I've overlooked? If there are none, I can't think of any other problems.

Here are my revised multiclass feats. Please have a look, and all constructive criticism/opinions are welcome.

Initiate of the Faith [Multiclass Cleric]
Prerequisite: Wis 13, training in one of the following skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Heal, History, Insight, Religion
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Cleric list. In addition, you can use a holy symbol as an implement when using a cleric power or a cleric paragon path power.
Special: You can use retraining to replace this at-will with another at-will from either your primary or secondary class.

Student of the Sword [Multiclass Fighter]
Prerequisite: Str 13, training in one of the following skills: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Intimidate, Streetwise
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Fighter list.
Special: You can use retraining to replace this at-will with another at-will from either your primary or secondary class.

Soldier of the Faith [Multiclass Paladin]
Prerequisites: Str 13 or Cha 13, training in one of the following skills: Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Paladin list. In addition, you can use a holy symbol or a holy avenger as an implement when using a paladin power or a paladin paragon path power.

Warrior of the Wild [Multiclass Ranger]
Prerequisite: Str 13 or Dex 13, training in one of the following skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, Nature, Perception, Stealth
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Ranger list.

Sneak of Shadows [Multiclass Rogue]
Prerequisite: Dex 13, training in one of the following skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Rogue list.

Pact Initiate [Multiclass Warlock]
Prerequisite: Cha 13 or Con 13, training in one of the following skills: Arcana, Bluff, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion, Streetwise, Thievery
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Warlock list. Choose a warlock pact; you can pursue the warlock paragon path based on that pact. In addition, you can use a rod, a wand, or a pact blade as an implement when using a warlock power or a warlock paragon path power.

Student of Battle [Multiclass Warlord]
Prerequisite: Str 13 or Int 13, training in one of the following skills: Athletics, Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal, History, Intimidate
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Warlord list.

Arcane Initiate [Multiclass Wizard]
Prerequisite: Int 13, training in one of the following skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight, Nature, Religion
Benefit: You swap one of your primary class at-will powers for an at-will power from the Wizard list. In addition, you can use an orb, a staff, or a wand as an implement when using a wizard power or a wizard paragon path power.

kmdietri

Explorer
I like the system, I think we share many of the same thoughts on multiclassing.

I think I'm going to make the power swapping feats seperate though.

And i think I'm going to drop the only one other class limit.

ltbaxter

First Post
The main problem is that it lets one character expand into a second role far too easily.

Scorching burst or thunderwave at-will = controller in a box, instant minion-slayer.

Sacred flame = at will healing ability

Twin strike - striker like damage levels at will

Eyebite at-will for any class/role? Yikes!

Wolf-pack tactics at will for a rogue?

I kind of wish there were a way to do more than dabble in a second class, but what you propose is too strong (imho).

Now, perhaps when you take a second class instead of a multi-class, what you suggest might be perfect.

keterys

First Post
ltbaxter said:
The main problem is that it lets one character expand into a second role far too easily.

Scorching burst or thunderwave at-will = controller in a box, instant minion-slayer.

I kind of wish there were a way to do more than dabble in a second class, but what you propose is too strong (imho).

Now, perhaps when you take a second class instead of a multi-class, what you suggest might be perfect.

You far overestimate the power of at-will powers, especially if you consider levels higher than, say, 2nd level.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Obviously WotC doesn't want people subsuming the roles of other classes so easily with just a few feats. I personally will not use houserules like this.

Destil

Explorer
keterys said:
You far overestimate the power of at-will powers, especially if you consider levels higher than, say, 2nd level.
They scale, actually. As long as you keep with the + on your multiclass implement / weapon and ability scores.

These aren't too bad, really. May be even a little bit weak. Right now the 3 power swap feats are slightly on the weak side, but they make up for it with the first feat being so good. I'd recommend maybe improving those a little to compensate.

kmdietri said:
I like the system, I think we share many of the same thoughts on multiclassing.
Cool!
kmdietri said:
I think I'm going to make the power swapping feats seperate though.
What do you mean by keeping the power swapping feats separate? I'm doing that as well i.e. I've kept the Novice Power, Novice Acolyte, Novice Adept feats.
kmdietri said:
And i think I'm going to drop the only one other class limit.
I don't see that as a really big deal: sure, you're gaining extra encounter powers, but they'll be mainly sub-optimal at-wills in strength. It wouldn't work with my house rule, obviously (you wouldn't have any at-wills from your own class).

ltbaxter said:

I have to agree with keterys on this one: at-wills are not as strong as you think they are (although I see by your next post that you might have changed your mind and are now agreeing with this point). When you spend a turn using an at-will, that's a turn you're not using a much more powerful encounter or daily power. Your own class' at-wills will generally be much more suited to your role/class features, so you will generally favour your primary class at-will over your secondary class'. Sure, there will be occasional situations where your secondary at-will will be a better choice than your primary, but this versatility is why you spent a feat on multiclassing in the first place, right?

Also, I don't agree that your examples are broken.

Sacred Flame provides 1/2 level + Cha mod temporary hit points (i.e. not very much, nowhere near what a healing surge can give you). It's a Wis-based attack and only does 1d6 + Wis mod damage. So your character has to have a high Wis and Cha to make this effective. Also, the character is giving up a turn to do extremely sub-par damage; probably not an ideal tactic for a striker, controller, or defender, although it might be occasionally situationally useful, which is the point of multiclassing.

Twin Strike: the melee version of this is probably a poor choice for a non-ranger, but the ranged attack is viable for many other classes. Bear in mind that its a Dex-based attack for ranged and your attacks do no ability mod damage. I don't see this as being an absolute 'must have' by any stretch though, but could be handy for some classes.

Eyebite is OK for making an escape from a monster, but for many roles you generally want to engage the opposition, not flee. It's situationally useful for a controller or another striker. Also, it does extremely poor damage and requires a high Cha to be effective. This is an overall good choice for a multiclass at-will for some classes, but certainly not a 'no-brainer' type of selection.

Wolf-pack tactics for the Rogue is not as good as the Rogue's own Deft Strike at-will power: both help you get into flanking position (for sneak attacks), but Deft Strike allows you to move 2 squares as opposed to Wolf Pack Tactics, which allows you to pull an ally 1 square. Also, the attack you make with Wolf Pack Tactics applies your Str modifier instead of your Dex modifier, which is sub-optimal for a Rogue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads