• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Helms in 3.5e

theoremtank

First Post
I read a rumor awhile back that helms would have a different rule mechanic in the bonuses granted in 3.5e. Has there been any further news verifying anything on this subject?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No, really! They wanted to make armor grant DR, but they didn't want to change things too much. So in 3.5, armor grants DR - but you get your protection from helms that you bolt, strap or glue to different parts of your body. AC is now HC (Helm Coverage), and works the same way. For instance, you can reasonably affix two helms to a large shield, so (assuming you have those helms attached) it grants HC +2. A person who would normally wear plate mail can fit about seven helms on their body (one on each knee, one as a codpiece, two on your back and two on your belly/chest), so (like plate mail in 3e) it grants HC +7. Sure, there's a penalty to move silently, and an encumbrance factor - but otherwise, it seems to work pretty well.

Oddly enough, I can't seem to find any rules in the 3.5 PHB for wearing one of these helms on your head. I'm expecting that they'll cover it in the FAQ.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Oddly enough, I can't seem to find any rules in the 3.5 PHB for wearing one of these helms on your head. I'm expecting that they'll cover it in the FAQ.

It's in the DMG, in the magic items section.

At least, it's implied, because helms are still the same magic item slot as headbands, and the flavour text for the Headband of Intellect says you wear it on your head.

It may be that only magic helms can be worn on the head in 3.5.

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I thought so at first, too - but if you look on page 243, you'll see a magic headband whose big power is that you can attach helms to it for "bonus" HC. I think they attach to the headband (using that slot), but dangle down around the front, back and sides of your head. So I'm just not sure.

Last edited:

greycastle

First Post
What about a bonus to DC? how many dead cats can you attach to plate armour? thats got to help, not to mention to your intimidate checks vs. all felines

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If you look on page 243, you'll see a magic headband whose big power is that you can attach helms to it for "bonus" HC.

Well huh.

Do you know if the Listen and Spot penalties for each helm stack, or do you just take the worst one?

-Hyp.

Edit - oops, outdated 3E Skills. I mean the Notice Stuff penalties, of course.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Isn't a helm that thing you steer ships with? Why would anyone want to wear such a thing on the head? To look like Helm, the FR god of Navigation?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads