• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hellfire Domain-Thoughts?

RustyDemiGod

Villager
Hellfire Domain

Clerics, though often thought of as paragons of wisdom, do not always serve the most righteous of deities. For all the pious and pure pilgrims of the world there are those that serve tyrants. The Archdukes of Hell forge their heralds in hellfire and fill them with ambition and zeal. As a cleric bound in service to hell will you bring forth corruption in the names of your Archdukes, or will you burn a new path for you alone?

Hellfire Domain Spells

Cleric LevelSpells
1stHellish Rebuke, Charm Person
3rdScorching Ray, Detect Thoughts
5thMelf’s Minute Meteors, Tongues
7thCharm Monster, Dominate Beast
9thImmolation, Dominate Person

-Infernal Assistant: When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the Find Familiar ritual spell. This ritual always summons an Imp. This counts as a Cleric spell for you, and does not count against the number of spells that you can prepare each day.

-Devil’s Charm: At 1st level, you exhibit the guile and charm of Hell’s deceivers. You can read, write, and speak Infernal fluently. In addition, you gain proficiency in 2 of the following skills: Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion, or Insight.

-Channel Divinity: Hellbreach: Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to teleport through Hell to evade an attack.

When hit by a melee attack you may, as a reaction, disappear in a puff of foul smoke and reappear in an unoccupied square up to 60ft away. This allows you to avoid being harmed by the attack.

-Iron Minded: At 6th level, your thoughts take on the iron resilience of the city of Dis. You become immune to magics that read your thoughts, and you gain advantage on saves against charm effects.

-Unholy Strikes: When you reach 8th level, you are blessed with unholy might in battle. When a creature takes damage from one of your cantrips or weapon attacks, you can also deal 1D8 Fire damage to that creature. Once you deal this damage, you cannot use this feature again until the start of your next turn.

-Fork-Tongued Liar: At 17th level, you are gifted with the charm and guile of a Devil. You are treated as if permanently under the effect of the Glibness spell.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hey. I like your domain theme. Spell list feels a tad too strong for me though.

All other Cleric Domain spell lists contain at least 1 cleric known spell. You have none, thus making it a more powerful list to begin with. Also, they are (I think) all from the PHB. Immolation is not. (Not sure if that bothers you at all). They all usually contain at least one or two very niche spells. None of your spells are niche.

Clerics don’t have reaction spells on their list, so Hellish Rebuke becomes quite powerful (but totally on-brand and cool!) Fireball and Haste are a very powerful 3rd level duo. Mayhaps too powerful. I would consider replacing one of them with something like Tongues or Sending to better complement your Face stuff like Disguise Self, Detect Thoughts and your Devil’s Charm.

Clerics have access to Flame Strike as a 5th level spell. I note you have not selected it. It might be a little less powerful than other spells of its type but fits the theme and is a cleric spell. You could replace Immolation with it.

It would still be a very powerful spell list, but some other domains have some good lists as well. Just my 2cp’s worth. I like what you’ve done. Hope you have fun with it.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’d change the 8th level Unholy Strikes feature to better align with other cleric’s Divine Strikes feature.

Unholy Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with devilish energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Also, while I’m perfectly down for having Summon Draconic Spirit as your capstone summon option, and am surprised you didn’t go for the more obvious Summon Fiend (Devil) instead. Truth be told either option would be fine though.

RustyDemiGod

Villager
Additional revision:

-Channel Divinity: Hellbreach: Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to teleport through Hell to evade an attack.

When hit by a melee attack you may, as a reaction, disappear in a puff of foul smoke and reappear in an unoccupied square up to 60ft away. This allows you to avoid being harmed by the attack.

Remove ads