• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FIFTY remakes? Seriously?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I beg to differ- they're remaking Drop Dead Fred, and you KNOW that has to involve some serious creativity to convince someone to remake a total critical and financial flop.

Oh, you mean in terms of new and innovative plots and stuff.

Have you noticed there are 2 new Law & Order series (UK and LA) and the last season of CI will feature the return of Goren & Eames? That there is a Hawaii 5-O series? Recent reboots of the Star Trek, Superman and Batman franchises, to be followed by Spider-Man?

Hollywood...they're the ORIGINAL copiers, not Xerox.

Felon

First Post
I think most of us are aware that there are only so many stories, and only a few of those stories resonate with a mainstream audience.

On a D&D website, we should be profoundly aware of this. Pretty much every "epic" adventures I've been on were the same tired stories of obtaining or destroying some magical McGuffin, or preventing someone else from obtaining or destroying a magical McGuffin. Basically, preserve the status quo by keeping doomsday locked away. And these are considered creative, because they're a step above mindless loot-grab dungeon crawls.

And right here in this forum, there are folks extolling shows like Chuck, Big Bang Theory, The Good Guys, and other mediocrities. Cleverness and creativity just doesn't play that huge of a factor in what people like or dislike. Presentation seems to be the real key component.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
There are some on that list I just don't trust to be redone well, some I wish they just left alone.

I'm not pleased their going to give a redo with The Thing. Itself was a sequel of sorts, but it struck gold, one of the best sci-fi/horror movies ever. Which is a reason someone would want to redo it I guess. I don't trust that they would leave the elements that made it work alone. Unless it is a movie that takes the console game version of The Thing, the player comes upon the base in the immediate aftermath of the movie. That'd work.

A live action Akira? My head is spinning, anyone want to wager the story is moved to America?

But a redo for The Neverending Story? My wife has been begging for this for years. Redo Judge Dredd along the gritty roots of the comic? I've been wishing for that.

Redo Dune, yet again . . . I have nothing to say.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In all fairness, I won't judge a single one of these until we actually start seeing trailers. While I can't think of one at 3AM CST, I'm sure there have been Hollywood remakes that equal or surpass their originals.

I'm also sure we'd disagree on which ones they were...

Crothian

First Post
From the sound of it many of those are just proposals and having even been green lighted. It would have been more interesting to list 50 remake movies of the past couple of years that did get made.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I'm trying to figure out which is worse, remaking a classic film (The Birds, True Grit), or remaking a film that was never good in the first place? (Drop Dead Fred? Seriously?)

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'm not pleased their going to give a redo with The Thing. Itself was a sequel of sorts, but it struck gold, one of the best sci-fi/horror movies ever. [...] Unless it is a movie that takes the console game version of The Thing, the player comes upon the base in the immediate aftermath of the movie. That'd work.

Carpenter's Thing wasn't a sequel of any sort. It was a (very loose) remake.

The new Thing is a prequel to Carpenter's. It takes place on the Norwegian base they come upon at the start of the movie.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads