• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat prereqs if your class gives you the feat?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
My initial assumption: If a paladin or warrior wants to wear plate armor, she needs a 15 Con AND 15 Str, because that is the prereq for the feat.

stonegod said:
Actually, that only matters for half-elves that didn't take a class w/ the plate proficiency: If they get it, they can wear it regardless of Str/Con.

Where do you get that from? I read it the other way - on prereqs for feats it says that if you ever lose the prereq you can't use the feat anymore.

Is there something that says a class that gets it can use it even without the prereq? I'd be very interested in finding that.

Anyone know either way, along with a page number for me to read?

FireLance

Legend
It's answered (sort of) in the PHB FAQ:

Can a Fighter with a 12 Constitution still use scale armor?

The Armor Proficiency (Scale) feat requires a 13 Constitution, but all fighters gain proficiency with scale armor for free (regardless of the prerequisites).

Kichwas

Hmmm. So, nowhere in print though? FAQs are something I expect to get revised a few thousand times in the coming weeks. :)

Hopefully we'll see a character in print that violates the prereqs, or I'll find a page on it.

Zurai

First Post
arcady said:
Hmmm. So, nowhere in print though? FAQs are something I expect to get revised a few thousand times in the coming weeks. :)

Hopefully we'll see a character in print that violates the prereqs, or I'll find a page on it.
You really think they're going to do a better job with making sure 4E example characters actually work mechanically than they did in 3.5? I don't think there's one single example character in 3.5 that doesn't have some mistake, and they're frequently pretty glaring.

Kichwas

True, but it would lend weight to the FAQ - which at present seems to say the opposite of what I can find in the book, although that too is rather vague as its not clear on 2 points:
1. Are the proficiencies that come with a class even feats?
2. Is the prereqs for a feat only for training it, or also for using it (I get this weird notion from the odd headings 'Prerequisite' and 'Requirement' on pg. 57 for powers)?

Nowhere does it say that the Paladin (for example) has all the Armour Proficiency (whatever) feats. It says the Paladin is proficient in these armours. There are no pre-reqs. The classes section says
PHB said:
Armour and Weapon Proficiencies: Different classes are proficient with different kinds of armour and weapons, shown in these two entries. An armour or weapon proficiency you gain from a class COUNTS AS the approppriate Armour Proficiency or Weapon Proficiency feat
This is really cut and dried. You are proficient in that type of armour -no ifs, buts or maybes- and (the bold bit in the quote) you are counted as having the feat for any future requirement that you may have (paragon path, extra Armour Proficiency feats, etc). 'Counts as' does not mean you have that feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads