• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Fear the man-beast

GuyBoy

Hero
I was reading Grognardia earlier and it reviewed White Dwarf 8, from the days when WD was, essentially, a D&D plus bits magazine, and it mentioned the Man Beast class which brought back some memories.
I was 15 and had been playing for a couple of years by 1978, and we’d not long read Jekyll and Hyde in school, so this class ticked all sorts of boxes, and was the first real play (that I can remember anyway) at a class that tended towards evil and was certainly bestial in nature, but can possibly be seen as the grandfather of Eberron’s shifters.
The class assumed a previous deal with an out-of-game wizard who had created a ring that shifted the player into a wild lycanthrope-style beast, who gained claw and bite attacks, which improved by level, a tail slap that came later, as well as improving AC and various other abilities.
It was a kind of vicious, hairy monk that smelt bad!

I remember a friend playing one in a slightly dubious adventuring party for a whole campaign, as well as a few appearances in one-off games, but I guess it was a bit limited on the roleplay satisfaction quotient.

Must have been relatively popular because Grenadier produced a miniature based on the Allie Fiore artwork. A tiny bit of Hyde-influenced history of our wonderful game:
06B6C4AF-59B7-4BFE-9DDF-7D220CABA4F7.jpeg

Darrich Noar

Villager
I was reading Grognardia earlier and it reviewed White Dwarf 8, from the days when WD was, essentially, a D&D plus bits magazine, and it mentioned the Man Beast class which brought back some memories.
I was 15 and had been playing for a couple of years by 1978, and we’d not long read Jekyll and Hyde in school, so this class ticked all sorts of boxes, and was the first real play (that I can remember anyway) at a class that tended towards evil and was certainly bestial in nature, but can possibly be seen as the grandfather of Eberron’s shifters.
The class assumed a previous deal with an out-of-game wizard who had created a ring that shifted the player into a wild lycanthrope-style beast, who gained claw and bite attacks, which improved by level, a tail slap that came later, as well as improving AC and various other abilities.
It was a kind of vicious, hairy monk that smelt bad!

I remember a friend playing one in a slightly dubious adventuring party for a whole campaign, as well as a few appearances in one-off games, but I guess it was a bit limited on the roleplay satisfaction quotient.

Must have been relatively popular because Grenadier produced a miniature based on the Allie Fiore artwork. A tiny bit of Hyde-influenced history of our wonderful game:
View attachment 143467
I'm working on a 5E version of the Man-Beast, with some limitations and some new traits to give it more flavour so every Man-Beast doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the next (representing the different wizard that ensorcelled the ring and the 'curse' attached).

GuyBoy

Hero
I'm working on a 5E version of the Man-Beast, with some limitations and some new traits to give it more flavour so every Man-Beast doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the next (representing the different wizard that ensorcelled the ring and the 'curse' attached).
I'd be very interested in seeing this. Sounds great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads