• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Psionics Confusion

sukael

First Post
The epic psion progression in the SRD states that, "Each time the psion attains a new level, he learns two new powers of any level or levels that he can manifest."

The epic psychic warrior progression also says, "The epic psychic warrior gains one new power of any level that she can manifest at every even-numbered level she attains higher than 20th (22nd, 24th, 26th, and so on)."

(The epic wilder doesn't have any such clause.)

However, the "Epic Psionic Class Progressions" overview says, "For manifesters, manifester level continues to increase after 20th level. However, a manifester’s power points and powers known at each level do not increase automatically after 20th level."

What's right here? Are the entries for psion and psychic warrior incorrect? Are they correct but exceptions to the general rule?

the Jester

Legend
Huh, never noticed that.

I'd tend to say no new powers known, much like a sorcerer.

Then again, wizards get to add 2/level to their books, don't they?

Hmmmm....

sukael

First Post
the Jester said:
Then again, wizards get to add 2/level to their books, don't they?

Yep. "Each time the wizard achieves a new level, he or she learns two new spells of any spell levels that he or she can cast (according to his or her new level)."

moritheil

First Post
sukael said:
Are the entries for psion and psychic warrior incorrect? Are they correct but exceptions to the general rule?

That would be my guess. Meaning that epic wilders get the shaft, epic psions continue learning 2, and epic psywars get 1.

sukael

First Post
moritheil said:
That would be my guess. Meaning that epic wilders get the shaft, epic psions continue learning 2, and epic psywars get 1.

Yet another reason to never use the wilder class. :D

Bacris

First Post
sukael said:
What's right here? Are the entries for psion and psychic warrior incorrect? Are they correct but exceptions to the general rule?

The rule is specific rule trumps over-arcing rule.

The over-arcing rule is manifesters do not automatically get new powers known as they level over 20.

The specific rule is psions get 2, psywars get 1. Wilders have no specific rule, so they follow the over-arcing rule (i.e. none).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads