• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Epic" progression after 6th level

Ry

Explorer
Hi Rom, I am trying to figure out what the best presentation would be, but yeah, that's the idea. Let me see what I can cobble together.

Ry

Explorer
I'm going to compile the rules (just the house rules, not the SRD originals updated), do a FAQ, and ask a mod to merge this thread with the really old one of the same name. Then I'll start a new thread with all the collected details.

Storminator

First Post
Animus said:
Hello,

This system looks like it would be cool to play as a change of pace. I do have a question about skills, however, and I apologize if I missed information upthread. What do you do about really high DCs (30+)? Some Knowledge skills may require attaining a result at or above DC 30. A 6th level character with 9 ranks in a skill +3 from Skill Focus +2 from one of the misc. feats that gives +2 to two skills gives a total bonus of +14-18 depending on the relevant ability bonus. Taking 10 or an average roll gets you 24-28. Of course you can roll high to get better results, but do you view this as a problem?

It's not that bad. A 14-18 without synergies or circumstance bonuses or Aid Anothers gives a pretty good shot a DC 30 check, and not out of the question for a DC 35.

There is the question of what happens in those cases where a failure means you can't check again until you gain another skill point (like some Spellcraft checks). If you never level, you can never gain another skill point. A feat that grants +1 Skill Point probably isn't outrageous, even if it lets you break level caps.

PS

Ry

Explorer
There's a feat that allows 5 Skill points, I believe, but it doesn't break skill caps. But I'd allow an "Incantation" to reset that requirement.

Hoo boy. There are quite a few little epicycles that I didn't expect. But we shall perservere!

Animus

Explorer
rycanada said:
There's a feat that allows 5 Skill points, I believe, but it doesn't break skill caps. But I'd allow an "Incantation" to reset that requirement.
Open Minded is the name of that feat. I believe it's in Complete Adventurer.
rycanada said:
Hoo boy. There are quite a few little epicycles that I didn't expect. But we shall perservere!

Yes we shall! By sharing your ideas, others can help develop it as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads