• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Edition War Across the Net or Where Have You Been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weregrognard

First Post
It was worst for me on Amazon... I try to read product reviews and often the message boards have good product suggestions etc but anything D&D related on those boards is horrible.

I take any online product reviews (not just games) with enough salt to mummify myself. It's my opinion that people tend to post about products when they don't like them far more than when they do. You can't trust good reviews either for fear it's either a rebuttal of a bad review, or worse, a planted "good" review by the company. I was reminded of this while looking at apartment reviews. Whoo boy! :erm:

davethegame

Explorer
I got lectured by a complete stranger at my local game store. Seriously. It was a little odd.

I've had that happen to me as well at a game store, by the guy running the game store who I was purchasing 4e products from.

Though I have to say, the strangest place for me so far was at the PHB2 D&D Game Day by the DM of the adventure... edition warring for 3e. I wanted to say, "Look, if you hate 4e, let me run the adventure for you... you can even keep the minis afterwards."

Subumloc

First Post
To add to my previous post:
There are several (not many) negative comments even on the official 4e "fan" page on Facebook, in spite of the lack of anonimity.
I've also heard of strange things happening at a couple small cons around here, like people signing up for 4e games and then refusing to play.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've had that happen to me as well at a game store, by the guy running the game store who I was purchasing 4e products from.
How weird. It must have been tempting to say "okay, you convinced me!" and then buy nothing until you got to an internet connection.

When I run into folks like this, a naturally contrarian nature makes me "correct" them by espousing 2e instead. I like to think of it as performance art if I do it amusingly enough.

nightwyrm

First Post
I have never been to any forum where something wasn't being argued. If you're at an anime forum, they're arguing about anime; if you're at an video game forum, they're arguing about videogames. That's just the nature of forums and those who visits them. It's no surprise that all tabletop RPG forums would be arguing about 3e vs 4e.

nightwyrm

First Post
I guess this is more about where I've NOT seen edition wars, but...

One interesting thing I've noticed is that there are some people who post to multiple forums who specifically go to one forum to troll for an edition war, and then go to another forum to be reasonable. I've noticed at least one crossover where a forum member trolled ENWorld like a true master for months, while posting on rpgnet as a totally reasonable human being.

It makes me hate them ever so much more, because it proves that they're doing it just for kicks.

Normal people + anonymity + internet = douchebags.

What interests me is whether the edition war seems to be dying down as time goes on. It seems that people are now congregating to forums that mostly matches their opinions.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
That my banhammer doesn't work when I'm not online. :D
That is why you bring a real hammer *looks around* What?! *hears sirens* uh-oh.

One place where I have seen it decreasing a fair bit is RPG.net. It seems at least compared to past months to be really cooling down.

Dragonbait

Explorer
4chan /tg/ still had it going on about 2 months ago, which was when I stopped going there. Since I play 4E I mostly payed attention to those threads and there was always at least 1 attempt to troll the thread (4rries, 4aggots), or the thread was a copy/paste troll thread to begin with. Very few ended up in anything other than a flame war. It's 4chan so I can only assume that the same goes for 3E.

If Pathfinder was mentioned in 3E threads at the time I dared visit that site.. Well, that opened up a whole new can of trollworms..

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Normal people + anonymity + internet = douchebags.

What interests me is whether the edition war seems to be dying down as time goes on. It seems that people are now congregating to forums that mostly matches their opinions.

The fact that pathfinder is becoming reality has alleviated alot of the edition wars.

WOTC did not help the edition wars much by stating right off the bat that 3rd edition was flawed and 4e was going to fix everything. If you were still playing 3rd you were playing the wrong game.

Alot of the ire was due to a perfectly good, and viable game no longer being supported. Especially since it is impossible to prove that 4e is better than 3rd edition.

Now the 3rd edition in a new incarnation will be supported by pathfinder. This makes it very easy to never look back at a D&D product, so for many alot of the frustration is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads