• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

seebs

Adventurer
Well we are five pages into this thread and everyone else seems fine with the question. Why are you the only one having trouble?

Everyone's answer is an unambiguous "yes, of course you can, it's easy".

I'm the only one pointing out the elephant in the room, which is that there's nothing that anyone has suggested which could explain a circumstance under which it wouldn't be possible, and indeed easy, to run a popular D&D setting using D&D. That doesn't mean I'm "having trouble". It means that I'm asking a question which hasn't been answered yet, and which I note you have implicitly conceded has no answer.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Everyone's answer is an unambiguous "yes, of course you can, it's easy". I'm the only one pointing out the elephant in the room, which is that there's nothing that anyone has suggested which could explain a circumstance under which it wouldn't be possible, and indeed easy, to run a popular D&D setting using D&D. That doesn't mean I'm "having trouble". It means that I'm asking a question which hasn't been answered yet, and which I note you have implicitly conceded has no answer.

Here's what I see and I'm going to be really honest here.

The only elephant in the room is one you are trying to create.

We are now six pages in, the thread as 5 stars, and everyone else is actually engaging in the topic at hand. For those that have just stated a yes answer, they have made the point and moved on. For those of us who don't think so are coming up with ways to fix that. I don't think you are actually interested in the topic because you have given no constructive posts or simply stated yes, explained why and moved on.

I believe you are simply trying to start some kind of conflict in this thread. I believe you are trying to draw me in to some kind of confrontation with you so that you can try and "get one over on me" or try and discredit me or something. I'm not going to play your little game and I would appreciate it if you would bring that sort of thing to this thread.

If you have a problem then I would advise you to contact the mods.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I can't speak for anyone else besides the people in my group, but when we play a specific world that contains unique elements, we like for there to be some reflection of those elements in the mechanics. It gives us more of a feeling that we are playing in that specific world.

That is why I mentioned the moon mechanics. I think they should be included as an optional rule. Not sure on the effect maybe +/- 1 or 2 on spell DCs so you can get around the drawbacks with spell selection perhaps.

Other than that its mostly the races and classes allowed and how they are used for the DL feel, Being an AD&D world I think that means some sort of restriction on what is allowed perhaps even class and racial restrictions in addition to obvious things like no half orcs. Even that might depend on the era you are playing in as I have little idea as to what happens after Dragons of Summer Flame.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Is it really possible to run a Dragonlance game using the core material we have at the moment?
Yes it's possible to run 5E Dragonlance but depending on the ammount of DL mechanic you want in it it might require a little bit conversion work. Nothing unfeasable though.

Is it worth converting the phases of the moon rules? Instead of caster levels bonus or penalty to caster slots?
It could be worthed to add a bit of Dragonlance flavor in your campaign. You could have Wizards of High Sorcery white, red or black robe each be affected by moons cycles as soon as they reach 3rd level and choose their robe color. While Waning phase could be normal effect, Low & High Sanctions could impose advantage or disadvantage to saving throws and moons alignments from either Lunitari, Solinari or Nuitari could double your proficiency bonus for exemple.

There is different ways this could be accomplish if someone wants to incorporation moon & magic in his 5E Dragonlance campaign.

Yan
D&D Playtester

cmad1977

Hero
Off the top of my head I would probably not actually track the phases of the moon.
Maybe when the session/relevant portion/adventuring day begins I would roll a...d10?
1-2: new moon
3-5:waning
6-8:waxing
9-10: Full.

Just make sure you have some time pressures on your group or there's nothing to stop them from saying
'We wait until the moon is full and then delve into the depths'

Or I just wouldn't even use them. We never used them in 2e and never missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corpsetaker

First Post
Off the top of my head I would probably not actually track the phases of the moon.
Maybe when the session/relevant portion/adventuring day begins I would roll a...d10?
1-2: new moon
3-5:waning
6-8:waxing
9-10: Full.

Just make sure you have some time pressures on your group or there's nothing to stop them from saying
'We wait until the moon is full and then delve into the depths'

Or I just wouldn't even use them. We never used them in 2e and never missed it.

Then what would be a better way of incorporating the moons, and the various colour robes into the game to give it that unique DL feel?

cmad1977

Hero
Then what would be a better way of incorporating the moons, and the various colour robes into the game to give it that unique DL feel?

Well my method kinda works if you're not tracking it super closely. You could use a real calendar or make the DL months all 20 days or so and track it that way.
Edit: however this could just be a waste if you let players simply wait until an afvantageous time for them.

I'd totally break up wizards and schools by robe color.

pkt77242

Explorer
Another way of handling the moons would be to limit cantrip use.

As for the test, just handle it like previous editions.

The player takes it by themselves. Usually one combat. One problem to be solved by magic and one test of character (helps to determine robe color).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads