• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance and unlimited Cantrips.

Shadowsoul

Banned
Banned
First of all, I'm new here so be gentle. :cool:

I am a huge fan of Dragonlance and it is my understanding that the world will be a part of 5th edition, I've seen kenders in the playtest pack. Now I am a little concerned about the unlimited Cantrip and how it would effect a low magic setting like Dragonlance.

Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the cantrips to better fit the world?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm trying to recall, but I think Dragonlance has few spellcasters in general, correct? If that is the case, I am not sure what the problem is. No cantrips create anything permanent, and with few spellcasters you won't have city streets lit by their light spells or anything like that (and each spellcaster could only lite one at a time anyway).

Or is it there are many spellcasters, they just don't generally have a lot of spells? That's not my recollection, but maybe my recollection is wrong?

Ruzak

First Post
There was some sort of spell fatigue system. Some such systems are being proposed in the No Cantrip Module thread, as a way of limiting at will magic. You might want to check it out.

Cybit

First Post
I'm also guessing Dragonlance will get its' own books with its' own set of rules - see when Kender was added to the playtest.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Honestly, I don't see cantrips causing a problem with Dragonlance at all. As was said above, cantrips don't cause any permanent affects and are rather no different than any of the spells that casters were already able to use in all the Dragonlance novels. The only REAL difference is that they'll be able to cast rather weak spells infinitely. Given that powerful wizards that appeared in the books never really worried about running out of spells in the first place it wouldn't affect them at all. As for Raistlin, he already kind of broke the rules for 1e or 2e. He had a plot allergy to casting spells of any kind and would get weaker and weaker the more he did so. Other Wizards in the world never had this disadvantage.

Gadget

Adventurer
Hmmm...I can see the problem. The thing with unlimited cantrips is, if you take things to their logical conclusion, there is no reason why all the city's are not lighted by light spells and such. One thing with Dragonlance though is that, for much of the history of the setting, mages were few and viewed with suspicion and distrust, if not outright hostility. That might be enough to limit it right there. Also, it always seemed like Archmages could conjure up a lot of minor magical effects without worry about it, so maybe do something like unlimited cantrips only comes into effect at higher levels, and then when you still have a spell slot available (i.e. reserve feats). Fistandantilus has better things to do with his nigh on infinite cantrips then disrupt the local economy or pew-pew-pew his way through the gates of hell slowly over six weeks time.

First of all, I'm new here so be gentle. :cool:

I am a huge fan of Dragonlance and it is my understanding that the world will be a part of 5th edition, I've seen kenders in the playtest pack. Now I am a little concerned about the unlimited Cantrip and how it would effect a low magic setting like Dragonlance.

Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the cantrips to better fit the world?
Dragonlance is only semi low magic. To the common people it's low magic but to the heroes, the PCs, it's normal magic.
PCs would be some of the rare magic users with access to cantrips, the ones with the potential to be part of the Orders of High Sorcery.

But there are potential house rules, such as ones mentioned in earlier in the linked thread.
Personally, I like the idea of being able to use cantrips at-will until you spend a certain number of your other spells, such as your highest three spells. Or a certain number each short rest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads