• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [Dragon] #307 - 3.5 Changes: Some we know, some we don't...

John Crichton

First Post
Just got it in the mail and I am bored...

The changes to Harm are explained by giving a Will Save to fill that particular niche. Since there are other spells (slay living being the given example) that attack high Will & Relex-save creatures this one balances things nicely. Further reasoning for the change are the have scaling damage and to take away the "all-or-nothing" aspect of the spell.
Harm
Necromancy
Level:
Clr 6, Destruction 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Harm charges a subject with negative energy that deals 10 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level). If the creature successfully saves, harm deals half this amount, but it cannot reduce the target's hit points to less than 1.

If used on an undead creature, harm acts like heal.
The changes to the hold spells (hold person, hold monster) is also realized. The designers are not big fans of
on/off" effects and the designers received much feedback of the same feeling. Their reasoning for allowing a save every round was to avoid eliminating a player from that combat (which typically happens on a failed save) and keeping them around by at the very least allowing them to roll a die every round. It also allows for other party members to assist the character in breaking the spell. So for the level of the spell, it is still effective as it will take a combatant out of the fight for a few rounds even if the save is eventually made.

Haste

They have admitted that Haste was too powerful for its level therefore needed change. It eliminated the need for the Quicken metamagic feat and became a must-have spell. It was also the best defensive spell in the game. The changes are already known but I'll restate them here:

Haste increases movement by 30 ft, gives a +1 to attacks and a +1 AC dodge bonus. It also gives and additional attack with the full attack action.

The article states that the designers know this will have a huge impact on the game as you will no longer see spellcasters and mosters firing off 2 spells every round.

Polymorph

Many problems with this spell made it a perfect target for change. Not only did it have multiple printings and clarifications but it was one of the first spells banned from organized play (something I didn't know). The new poloymorph which works on willing targets always a transformation into a living creature (including aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monsterous humanoid, ooze, plant or vermin). There are HD caps (caster level up to 15). You get the physical characteristics of the creature but not extraordinary, supernatural or spell-like abilities with the exception of extraordinary attack forms. The example given is the polymorphed fighter that is now a troll: he gains the strength and rend characteristics but not regeneration. The spell lasts one minute per level.

Baneful Polymorph

We already know much about this one. Used basically as an attack. If the chosen form would be fatal (fish in a desert) a +4 bonus is given to the save. This effect is permanent.

They explain the splitting of the different effects as for usage versus results. The change was made to cut down on confusion between the two spells.

Revision Alerts

A side reveals that Dragon #309 will contain 3.5 material as the books will be out by that time. They also mention that as early as #308 there may be 3.5 material and this material will be clearly marked with a "Revision Alert" tag to aid those without access to the 3.5 as of the printing and to show how things have changed from the old edition.

:: edited in a rules clarification ::

Last edited:

Technik4

First Post
Sounds Good

Just wondering if this makes all those people in novels turned into carrion crawlers or toads or chickens "not in 3.5"? Does baneful polymorph last forever? Can you use baneful polymorph on an ally and if so are the effects greater than Polymorph (I would hope so)?

I suppose you don't have any more answers than you posted (thanks!) but I'm just speculating...

Technik

Zappo

Explorer
Technik4 said:
And where does this leave Polymorph any Object? ;)
That's high level; I hope they change it somehow because I think it's too powerful, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Vecna

First Post
Extraordinary attacks?

I assume that the extraordinary attacks are those given in the "special attacks" entry in the monster stats (and obviously (Ex)) .

So now, you can get (just a few examples, I hope they are correct):

Carrion Crawler: Paralysis
Chuul: Paralysis
Cloaker: Moan (various effects)
Digester: Acid Spray (4d8 every 1d4 rounds)
Ettercap: Web and poison
Ettin: Superior Two-Weapon Fighting
Mind Flayer: Improved Grab and Extract
Naga: Poison (and Spit)
Rust Monster: Rust
Stirge: Attach and Blood Drain

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Merlion

First Post
Re: Extraordinary attacks?

Vecna said:
I assume that the extraordinary attacks are those given in the "special attacks" entry in the monster stats (and obviously (Ex)) .

So now, you can get (just a few examples, I hope they are correct):

Carrion Crawler: Paralysis
Chuul: Paralysis
Cloaker: Moan (various effects)
Digester: Acid Spray (4d8 every 1d4 rounds)
Ettercap: Web and poison
Ettin: Superior Two-Weapon Fighting
Mind Flayer: Improved Grab and Extract
Naga: Poison (and Spit)
Rust Monster: Rust
Stirge: Attach and Blood Drain

I would hope so also. I dont see why all extraordinary powers arent gained...if it doesnt come from magic you should get it. Although with the way they say a trolls regeneration works it really should be supernatural.
I have to say I disagree strongly with the Hold stuff. the concept is fine but if they make that change the level of the spells should be lowered. HoldPerson should be 2nd for everyone and Hold Monster 4th. thats a major cut in power.
Everything else sounds good. Never understood why moving faster let you cast more spells.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
I like the changes to the Hold spell. It just gives a chance to get out of it. Most of the time the chance is around 50% or less to break it (mostly cast on fighter-types with low saves). It's not a guaranteed hold but there is only so much you can do to get your saves up. That one spell could negate someones fun for a whole fight (which could last the better part of a session). I've seen it happen and it is no fun.

Vocenoctum

First Post
John Crichton said:
I like the changes to the Hold spell. It just gives a chance to get out of it. Most of the time the chance is around 50% or less to break it (mostly cast on fighter-types with low saves). It's not a guaranteed hold but there is only so much you can do to get your saves up. That one spell could negate someones fun for a whole fight (which could last the better part of a session). I've seen it happen and it is no fun.

I just wonder about the monsters with paralyzing attacks, will they likewise be given one save per round?
If not, it seems to penalize the player's spell user more.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Vocenoctum said:

I just wonder about the monsters with paralyzing attacks, will they likewise be given one save per round?
If not, it seems to penalize the player's spell user more.

Wow, that's a really good point. I'm hoping that what with WotC's supposed quest for greater consistency, they'll apply the save-per-round change to all long-duration immobilization effects.

-z

Remove ads