• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 258 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.5%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Ah, gotcha. Well, since (IIRC), the Vistani are no longer the horribly mistrusted outsiders, they might be willing to act as such for the right about of money... or favors.
So not only are there “corrupt caravan masters” among the Vistani (as I assume there must be, yeah?) but potentially also “local messengers”. And although it’s contentious to say they “can deliver messages for you”, there seems to be some potential for that too vis-à-vis their purported ability to pass freely through the Mists.

Last edited:

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I'm just trying to imagine this noble
View attachment 361946
being automatically accepted and invited to have an audience with this one
View attachment 361949
because they knock on the castle door and claim to be nobility.
Based on looks alone, not inherently, no, but if someone has been raised in a place where matters of state are definitionally the most central part their background/history, it would not be surprising at all, to me, that they knew how to invoke courtly graces, diplomacy, or negotiation as warranted to have a significant leg up for interactions with foreign dignitaries based on that experience, even ones who have very different cultural defaults.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm just trying to imagine this noble
View attachment 361946
being automatically accepted and invited to have an audience with this one
View attachment 361949

because they knock on the castle door and claim to be nobility.
In the world of D&D, the person in the bottom picture wouldn't be a noble. He'd be considered a warlord or a chieftain or thane or something like that.

Does it make sense? No. But that's how D&D seems to consider it.

mamba

Legend
So not only are there “corrupt caravan masters” among the Vistani (as I assume there must be, yeah?) but potentially also “local messengers”.
none that you know…

And although it’s contentious to say they “can deliver messages for you”, there seems to be some potential for that too vis-à-vis their purported ability to pass freely through the Mists.
within Ravenloft, where your contact is not…

Oofta

Legend
Based on looks alone, not inherently, no, but if someone has been raised in a place where matters of state are definitionally the most central part their background/history, it would not be surprising at all, to me, that they knew how to invoke courtly graces, diplomacy, or negotiation as warranted to have a significant leg up for interactions with foreign dignitaries based on that experience, even ones who have very different cultural defaults.
But in those cases there were political and trade ties. potential influence, etc.. If you are from an important enough noble family that has that kind of pull, you could get accommodations. But you can also be the 5th child of a fallen noble house and still qualify.

As an example if the king of the Maya showed up in Kiev in the 14th century dressed in commoners clothes he might be treated as an oddity. But automatically get an audience with the Czar? Nah. A prince from Germany visiting Australia? Of course they'd be invited right in.

But there is nothing inherently special about being noble. The only influence nobles have is the influence garnered by their reputation and political influence.

Faolyn

(she/her)
none that you know…
And apparently you can never get to know them either. And it's absolutely impossible for you to ask around to see if anyone would be willing to carry a message for you.

Also, the Vistani never advertise their services as messengers, and would never offer to take a message somewhere in exchange for you doing a service for them.

All totally impossible things.

mamba

Legend
And apparently you can never get to know them either.
at no point did I ever say that, in fact I said the opposite, more than once… but that is the difference between relying on the feature and what happens during the game to establish that connection

Remove ads