• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Disarming a caster's component pouch to prevent him from casting spells

lkwpeter

Explorer
Hi,

the optional rule for Disarming says:

Dungeon Master's Gude said:
A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item. The attacker has Disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

Usually a caster uses a component pouch (at least in our games). So, would you allow e.g. a ranged attacker to target the component pouch of a caster to shoot it off his grasp, then pick it up himself to prevent the caster from further spells?

Kind regards!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Depends if the caster is walking around with the component pouch "in their grasp," which I don't think is usually the case. The pouch is attached and "worn," like on a belt, and the caster removes individual components for spells as necesary.

You could have the ranger Ready and Action to Disarm when the caster removes the "bit of fluff," and shoot the fluff out of the caster's hand, but I would probably also houserule a -5 penalty due to size.

OB1

Jedi Master
Don't see why not, and seems like pretty iconic fantasy style action. I would probably have the attacker roll with Disadvantage due to the small size of the pouch. Not sure why I've never thought of doing this myself!

5ekyu

Hero
Since iirc drawing from pouch is an interaction or possibly "part of the action" depending on the portion of rules, i would not rule the caster needs their "pouch" in hand" and so not able to be disarmed.

However, if it is hanging on their belt, page the rogue with sleight of hand (possibly bonus action) to lighten that load.

its why as a player i would not have either just one compnent pouch or at least not have a few pinches of the key ones i need in other pocketeses.

lkwpeter

Explorer
Since iirc drawing from pouch is an interaction or possibly "part of the action" depending on the portion of rules, i would not rule the caster needs their "pouch" in hand" and so not able to be disarmed.
Hm...okay. Understand that.

But what's about a Cleric using a focus?

5ekyu

Hero
Hm...okay. Understand that.

But what's about a Cleric using a focus?
Anything in hand would seem to be fair game, but you want to be careful and fair.

Can my focus be attached to my shield? Can my focus be embroidered to my gauntlet? Can my focus have a redneck chain attaching it to me girdle? (Not perjorative.. I gots crimson neck and been to not only nascar but the real races where sometimes its a question whether the cars can even make a lap)

The thing you have to consider with these thing is what does it mean to the gameplay, long term, years before your pcs were placed under a cabbage to be found.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'd be pretty hesitant about ranged disarms.

And if a disarm succeeds I'd say the item falls at the target's feet. I would require a contest for you to pick it up, unless you are able to move the target away first.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
A cleric's or paladin's focus can be an emblem emblazoned on a shield (PHB p.151). You must "hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield." Meanwhile, a component pouch is "a small, watertight leather belt pouch" which implies that it is attached to your belt.

FWIW: The rules specify things you can do and things you can't do -- but there is a vast gulf in between that is left up to the DM's discretion. "Disarm" is an optional rule to begin with. The rules don't say you can disarm a component pouch, but they also don't expressly forbid it. Thus it enters the realm of DM's discretion.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Archer Ranger is probably out of luck here. I'd let him shoot the pouch out of the caster's hand, but the pouch will land at its owner's feet. Unless the Ranger rolled a nat20, in which case the pouch is attached to the arrow, firmly embedded in a nearby tree or doorframe. (If the Archer tries this before the caster even pulls out the pouch, he might embed the pouch into the caster's hipbone.)

As mentioned above, the optimal plan is for a Rogue2 who took Expertise(Sleight of Hand) to swiftly go over, permanently relieve the caster of his spell component pouch , and get far away from him. (Might also work with a lucky melee artist - who can then pummel the mostly-helpless foe.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads