• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disable F8 on startup?

evildmguy

Explorer
I am looking for a way to disable the F8 key on startup to prevent a bypass on limit software.

In searching the net, I found that there is a hack for NTLDR but it invalidates the EULA and I have other issues with it.

I also found this program NOSafeMode – The LEGAL and ELEGANT way to disable F8 and Advanced Boot Options in Windows NT™ based Operating Systems as a pay option to fix this.

So, my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work? Any good? Any other buying options out there?

Thanks!

Tarek

Explorer
"to prevent a bypass on limit software."

What does *this* mean? Are you proposing to run this tool as part of an installation process for a program you've written and are attempting to sell? If so, please tell me what the product is so that I know never to buy it.

I have serious issues with people who think that my installing their product on my computer allows them to hijack my computer's settings and set my machine to their preferences.

evildmguy

Explorer
I didn't post the whole drama but maybe that was bad.

A mom I know has a teenager who is on the computer too much and she tried to put limiting software on it. The teenager is smart enough that they found out that if they go into the boot menu via F8, they can go into safe mode with internet and still do everything they want to do and this bypasses the limit software. So, the teenager's mom wants to get rid of the F8 as an option so her teenager can only be on the computer for the X hours of the limit software.

This is not something I am writing or helping write. It's not for professional software or something to distribute. It's to help a very frustrated mom deal with a teenager who is retreating to the computer and not doing anything else. That's all.

Thanks.

At that point, were I the parent, the computer would be removed entirely. If the child is using the computer excessively or for things which the parent has directly forbidden, then put limiting software in place to ensure it, then had the child circumvent the software in such a way... yeah there are bigger issues to be dealt with by much harsher measures. JMHO

evildmguy

Explorer
I agree. But, it's not my child and I don't know the mom. She came to me for advice and so I am trying to do as she wanted instead of offer potentially unwanted advice.

Other suggestions along those lines were to take the mouse/keyboard away as that would stop it pretty well too. I might suggest that but again, am trying to do as I was asked and not get involved otherwise.

Thanks!

ssampier

First Post
I'm not a parent, but....

It's tough to be the middle-man (or middle-woman).

I don't know any practical way to remove safe-mode. It sounds like there are bigger issues here at play.

If I were the parent, I'd move the PC into the common room of the house. That would be the only PC with internet access. He/She could only use it for homework and other approved activities.

If the teen was sneaking out at night to use the PC, well, we know we have bigger issues.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Basically, there's isn't really a way to disable it. If the kid knows how to get to safe mode, I'm sure he's smart enough to look up how to bypass anything put on the computer.

You said you don't really know the mom, and I'm sure you're trying to be helpful. Really though, the answer is that she needs to actually parent. That is, talk to the kid, discuss the issues with him, possibly see if there's an addiction, and so forth. Removing the computer isn't solving anything, it's an easy fix for a problem that isn't likely so simple.

Of course, I'm assuming you don't want to tell her that, so I would simply tell her you don't know a way and let it be.

Merkuri

Explorer
Disabling safe mode can be dangerous. The mother may not be aware of this. If you do find a way to successfully disable safe mode then you could be eliminating your only way to recover the machine from a virus or a driver problem. Safe mode has saved my butt more than once.

For example (this actually happened to me) if Windows Update decides to download a video driver that doesn't actually work and causes your monitor to go completely black when in Windows (making the machine unusable) you can boot into Safe Mode to roll back the driver or download a new one. If I did not have Safe Mode available when this happened to me then I would've had no choice but to wipe the machine (losing all of my data) and start over.

A safer (though more cumbersome) solution would be to put the machine in a location where it and its power cord are not accessible to the child, like a locked cabinet (so he/she can't "hard boot" it by powering it off), and then log the machine in with a user that is not allowed to shut down or reboot the machine. That way the child never gets the opportunity to see the machine boot up and go into safe mode. This is the type of solution they use in businesses where random people need to interact with a computer.

evildmguy

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions!

I did pass the ideas onto the mom and have left it up to her. I suggested the paid program and disables it "legally" and so can be changed back with the password. I also suggested a bios password.

Again, I completely agree with what several of you have said about parenting instead of letting it go but I didn't think it was my place to offer such suggestions.

My thanks to all the posts!

Tharian

First Post
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but what about setting the admin account to have a password and not letting the kid have that password? Doesn't that prevent Safe Mode from getting right in to allow what the kid is trying to do? That or set up the kid's account to not have Safe Mode access (not sure if that's doable).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads