• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
Partly responding just to bump the thread!

I'll go for hold person or animal.

You know, I still think expeditious retreat is likely to be more useful to the Wolf Lord, but I'm OK with hold animal or person if you prefer it.

I guess we'd need to add note of explanation, e.g. "hold animal or person (as hold animal except it can affect a humanoid or animal)".

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. I guess you're worried about the save DC being too low vs PCs of appropriate level? OTOH, our vulpine friend is pretty fast already, on the ground at least. And are the tactics going to support running away that much?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. I guess you're worried about the save DC being too low vs PCs of appropriate level? OTOH, our vulpine friend is pretty fast already, on the ground at least. And are the tactics going to support running away that much?

More like "still worried" since I believed I raised that concern earlier.

Oh well, we gave the Lizard Lord hypnotic pattern as a SLA and that'd have an even lower save DC.

Let's just use hold animal or person so we can make some progress here.

freyar

Very good, then. Can we de-red some of the stats? I'm having some trouble remembering what we've done for the Wolf Lord and what's just a hold-over from the Lizard.

Cleon

Legend
Numbers for summon wolves next?

Sure.

Let's see, wolves are CR 1, dire wolves CR 3 and legendary wolves CR 7.

How about making the wolves double the normal number in the SRD, since the original description says they accompany the Wolf Lord in "huge packs":

Summon Wolves (Sp): The Wolf Lord can summon 2d10+12 wolves, 3d6 dire wolves, or 2d6 legendary wolves* as a full round action, once per day. The summoned animals arrive at the beginning of the Wolf Lord’s following round and are completely loyal to the Wolf Lord, as if under the effects of an animal friendship spell cast at 20th level.

*The legendary wolf appears in Monster Manual II. If that product is unavailable the Wolf Lord can summon 10d6 wolves, 3d6 dire wolves, or 1dX [something else?].

We just need a "something else". Maybe 1d2 paragon wolves?

freyar

Hey, that looks pretty good! 1d2 paragon wolves will work, also.

Next up are skills, I guess. We have 18 skills listed so far. First question is if we're happy with that list. I'm generally ok with it, though maybe we could tweak things like Diplomacy or Tumble depending on flavor and tactics. Any thoughts?

Remove ads