Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Thanks again for doing all this work.
I used the CC heavily in may last game, and will in my next.

Excellent, always glad to hear people are using the CC critters!

As for the Wolf Lord, start with the base abilities, HD, etc, of the Hawk and Lizard Lords and modify as suitable?

Cleon

Legend
Excellent, always glad to hear people are using the CC critters!

As for the Wolf Lord, start with the base abilities, HD, etc, of the Hawk and Lizard Lords and modify as suitable?

Yeah I guess so.

Presumably we're making the Wolf Form Large-sized like a Dire Wolf. We need to give him some sort of quickness or haste power for that "bites twice per round" ability.

Can he only use that in Wolf Form, by the way, or should we give him two bites in Hybrid form?

The special dagger of venom isn't anything overwhelming at the Animal Lord's CR. Most worthwhile opponents will either have immunity to poison or breathtakingly high Fort saves.

Ell-Egypto

Explorer
I played a ton of 1st ed in 80-82, then loads of 2e in 91-94, then craploads of 3e from 99-Now.
so I'm very familiar with old dragon magazines, and always get special thrill seeing new stats on old faces.

last game I ran, the anti-paladins patron was an Apollyon, whose name was The Depilator.
To get boons from him, someone had to sacrifice their hair. Good times.

freyar

last game I ran, the anti-paladins patron was an Apollyon, whose name was The Depilator.
To get boons from him, someone had to sacrifice their hair. Good times.

Excellent! I remember converting those. :D Anyway, if you ever want to chime in on a conversion, please feel free to do so.

Yeah I guess so.

Presumably we're making the Wolf Form Large-sized like a Dire Wolf. We need to give him some sort of quickness or haste power for that "bites twice per round" ability.

Can he only use that in Wolf Form, by the way, or should we give him two bites in Hybrid form?

The special dagger of venom isn't anything overwhelming at the Animal Lord's CR. Most worthwhile opponents will either have immunity to poison or breathtakingly high Fort saves.

I'll have to think about your question on the haste ability (I think we've called such an abiilty "alacrity" on other critters with double-attacks), but I'd suggest jazzing up the dagger a bit. This an epic critter, after all.

As for abilities (human form):
Lizard Lord --- Str 23, Dex 26, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 25
Lady Hawk --- Str 16, Dex 30, Con 16, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 25

I guess I'd go in between on the Str and Dex. What do you say?

Cleon

Legend
I'll have to think about your question on the haste ability (I think we've called such an abiilty "alacrity" on other critters with double-attacks), but I'd suggest jazzing up the dagger a bit. This an epic critter, after all.

Alacrity like we gave the Gold Silatic? Adapting that so its extra attack's a bite would work.

e.g.:

Bite Alacrity (Su): When the wolf lord is in wolf or hybrid form he may make one extra bite attack when making a full attack.

As for abilities (human form):
Lizard Lord --- Str 23, Dex 26, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 25
Lady Hawk --- Str 16, Dex 30, Con 16, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 25

I guess I'd go in between on the Str and Dex. What do you say?

Seems reasonable. Since he's described as "cunning, wily" and has "an intelligent face" I think we should go for Int 19.

Am I right in assuming we'll be giving him four alternative forms like the other Animal Lords we've done? Human, Regular Wolf, Dire Wolf and Hybrid. Presumably with ACs with the same numbers as the other two Animal Lords.

I fancy making the hybrid form Medium sized, like the Wolfman, to give him a reason for preferring to fight in Dire Wolf form.

Something like:

Human: Str 21, Dex 28, Con 17, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 24; Medium Outsider AC 56
Wolf: Str 25, Dex 38, Con 21, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 24; Medium Outsider AC 59
Dire Wolf: Str 31, Dex 38, Con 21, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 24; Large Outsider AC 59
Hybrid: Str 25, Dex 34, Con 21, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 24; Medium Outsider AC 59

Cleon

Legend
but I'd suggest jazzing up the dagger a bit. This an epic critter, after all.

Any ideas for the dagger "jazzing up"?

I'm not seeing any weapon qualities in the Epic Weapon SRD that seem suitable.

The Hawk Lady has two +7 weapons and Master Lizard has one +8 weapon, so presumably we want Wolf Boy to have a +8 weapon.

Of the standard magic weapon qualities, I guess keen and wounding are pretty obvious and speed is tempting but might be above our budget.

What's the magic-plus-equivalent of its "unlimited venom" property though? The "venom" of a regular dagger of venom appears to be valued at +2, since it's a +1 dagger that costs as much as a +3 weapon.

If we arbitrarily value the "unlimited venom" as +3 then we're talking a +2 keen wounding dagger of unlimited venom.

A big problem with the dagger of venom is its poison is only DC 14. Which is hardly noticeably at CR 25.

freyar

The abilities all look ok. If you'd like to differentiate them a little more, we could bump Int to 20 or 21 along with a slight decrease to Cha.

Have to get back to you on the weapon...

Remove ads