Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
A racial bonus would work, or we could promote it to something like charm monster.

Even charm monster isn't very competitive for an "Epic" creature.

The more I think about it, the more I favour a HD-based (Su) ability like a Dark Naga or H-Naga's charming gaze.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I assume you mean a spirit naga. But yes, the ha-naga's version would work pretty well, I think. Why don't we do that?

Charming Gaze (Su): As mass charm monster, 90 ft., Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
I assume you mean a spirit naga. But yes, the ha-naga's version would work pretty well, I think. Why don't we do that?

Charming Gaze (Su): As mass charm monster, 90 ft., Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

You would assume correctly, although the original effect was 7/day and only affected "people".

Something like this...

Charming Gaze (Su): 7/day, as charm monster (only affects humanoids and predatory birds), 60 ft., Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

Might expand it to include monstrous humanoids and giants.

freyar

Giants makes sense, too. Is it vampire-like, or can it affect multiple targets? I guess it seems vamp-like, but multiple targets seems like a more appropriate power level.

Cleon

Legend
Giants makes sense, too. Is it vampire-like, or can it affect multiple targets? I guess it seems vamp-like, but multiple targets seems like a more appropriate power level.

Since it was original charm person it would have affected a single target.

freyar

Charming Gaze (Su): 7/day the hawk lord may charm a creature as a gaze. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the hawk lord must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. The effect is as charm monster (only affects humanoids, giants, and predatory birds), 60 ft., Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
Charming Gaze (Su): 7/day the hawk lord may charm a creature as a gaze. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the hawk lord must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. The effect is as charm monster (only affects humanoids, giants, and predatory birds), 60 ft., Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

I'd polish it a bit as follows...

Charming Gaze (Su): Up to 7 times a day the hawk lord may charm a single creature it makes eye contact with. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the hawk lord must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. The effect is as charm monster (only affects humanoids, giants, and predatory birds), 60 ft. range, Will save (DC X). The DC is Charisma-based.

Hmm, maybe we should make the range longer than 60 ft? A charm monster would have a 75 foot range at CL 20. The Ha-Naga's gaze has a 90 foot range.

Remove ads