• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E creating a halfling rogue and looking for advice

my DM is running a restricted magic campaign and ive decided on a rogue . ive decided on halfling (limited race choices)with probably on the core book for choices

im looking to build them as an investigator type but good in combat as well.
looking for best feats and any further help would be appreciated. If theres is a supplement book that adds more i could suggest it to the DM

Bolares

Hero
my DM is running a restricted magic campaign and ive decided on a rogue . ive decided on halfling (limited race choices)with probably on the core book for choices

im looking to build them as an investigator type but good in combat as well.
looking for best feats and any further help would be appreciated. If theres is a supplement book that adds more i could suggest it to the DM
There is an inquisitor subclass for rogues. Assassin is kind of a trap option, depending on how your DM rules on surprise and on collective stealth.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, the Investigator option is pretty good. That said, if you were more of an adventuring investigator that stright thief is fine as well. It's the range of skills and expertise that makes a Rogue a good investigator for the most part, especially if you add the right Background ability (like Urban Bounty hunter or something like that.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
When you say limited magic, do you mean limited magic classes? Limited magic items?

Because while the inquisitive subclass is fine, the arcane trickster subclass is quite strong - will work for an investigator AND will help offset the lack of magic stuff.

aco175

Legend
I had found that straight thief to be fine with the fast hands ability to disarm a trap or open a lock to be useful in combat sometimes. Trickster was ok, mostly at higher levels when you can use mage hand to gain advantage on attacking. The spell selection was mostly used for spells like shield and invisibility.

The feat mobile is good to gain the 10ft extra movement and the free disengage after you attack. Better for a halfling as well to gain the speed, but also to save your cunning action to hide. Alertness is taken a bit by one of my players for the increase to initiative. I think some of the reason is to go first in combat and assassinate.

Don't forget the aim ability that came out to gain advantage if you do not use flanking rules. 2-weapon fighting is also good to make sure you can get backstab to deal damage.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I had found that straight thief to be fine with the fast hands ability to disarm a trap or open a lock to be useful in combat sometimes. Trickster was ok, mostly at higher levels when you can use mage hand to gain advantage on attacking. The spell selection was mostly used for spells like shield and invisibility.

The feat mobile is good to gain the 10ft extra movement and the free disengage after you attack. Better for a halfling as well to gain the speed, but also to save your cunning action to hide. Alertness is taken a bit by one of my players for the increase to initiative. I think some of the reason is to go first in combat and assassinate.

Don't forget the aim ability that came out to gain advantage if you do not use flanking rules. 2-weapon fighting is also good to make sure you can get backstab to deal damage.

All good advice, though I've found, with halfling rogues, ranged attacks are your friend because you can hide in combat much more easily than most.

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
IMO, the Arcane Trickster tends to be the most well-rounded and versatile rogue subclass (partly depending on your spell picks) if that's on the table. There are a fair few feats that work well with rogues. If you are willing to engage in melee, can manage a decent AC, and have another PC who is a melee combatant - the the Sentinel feat is pretty effective (potentially allows multiple sneak attacks per round since it allows attacks that do not take place on your turn).

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I suggest two-weapon fighting with short swords or daggers to increase your chance to land Sneak Attack. If you're limited to the core rulebook, any of the Rogue Archetypes is fine it will depends on your taste and what you're interested in in terms of playstyle as the Arcane Trickter has some spellcasting, the Assassin some options when initiating combat and the Thief other utility.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
IMO, the Arcane Trickster tends to be the most well-rounded and versatile rogue subclass (partly depending on your spell picks) if that's on the table. There are a fair few feats that work well with rogues. If you are willing to engage in melee, can manage a decent AC, and have another PC who is a melee combatant - the the Sentinel feat is pretty effective.
To elaborate, Sentinel can facilitate Opportunity attacks (not that easy to come by in 5e) and you can squeeze in an extra sneak attack this way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads