• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Blindsight isn't really better at dealing with mundane darkness (as they need to adapt to underground) as opposed to invisibility than darkvision plus blindsense is. I'd much prefer blindsense plus darkvision. Boosting the darkvision to 120 ft is ok, though.

I'm having difficulty parsing "Blindsight isn't really better at dealing with mundane darkness (as they need to adapt to underground) as opposed to invisibility than darkvision plus blindsense is", would you mind clarifying what your argument is?

If you're OK with Darkvision 120 ft., how much Blindsense do you propose?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You were saying that albino wyrms are "adapted to darkness underground" (paraphrasing), so it seemed to me that you argued that blindsight would make them better able to see in the mundane darkness of most of the underdark. My point is that, as the rules are written, blindsight doesn't give you any more ability to see through mundane darkness than dragons already have with darkvision + blindsense.

Let's see. True dragons have darkvision 120 ft, blindsense 60 ft. If you want to improve the senses compared to normal true dragons, how about blindsense 120 ft?

Cleon

Legend
You were saying that albino wyrms are "adapted to darkness underground" (paraphrasing), so it seemed to me that you argued that blindsight would make them better able to see in the mundane darkness of most of the underdark. My point is that, as the rules are written, blindsight doesn't give you any more ability to see through mundane darkness than dragons already have with darkvision + blindsense.

Let's see. True dragons have darkvision 120 ft, blindsense 60 ft. If you want to improve the senses compared to normal true dragons, how about blindsense 120 ft?

Well I'd like them to be somewhere between a standard True Dragon and a Deep Dragon (120 ft. true seeing).

So, I'd go for blindsense 120 ft., darkvision 120 ft. if you'll throw in Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.

freyar

How about a 30 ft burrow speed? I think I'd drop the swim speed, but I wouldn't be opposed to a slow one, like 20 ft, for swimming in underdark rivers and lakes.

Cleon

Legend
How about a 30 ft burrow speed? I think I'd drop the swim speed, but I wouldn't be opposed to a slow one, like 20 ft, for swimming in underdark rivers and lakes.

30 foot burrow is more than a Purple Worm has, which is the wrong way round according to their original borrow speeds (Albino Wyrm Br 3, Purple Worm Br 9).

Maybe burrow 10 ft.?

As for the swim, 20 ft. like the SRD snake's OK by me.

freyar

10 ft burrow speed is fine. I was just pulling a number out of a hat.

Ready for skills and feats, or are there more SAs and SQs you'd like to discuss?

Cleon

Legend
10 ft burrow speed is fine. I was just pulling a number out of a hat.

updated the Albino Wyrm Working Draft with burrow 10 ft.

Ready for skills and feats, or are there more SAs and SQs you'd like to discuss?

No, I think we're done with the special abilities.

Multiattack seems a pretty obvious feat, but I'm open to suggestions for the other two. They seem pretty straightforward combatants, suggesting something like Power Attack and Cleave or Reckless Offense.

freyar

Probably Power Attack and Cleave.

It gets 80 skill ranks. Max out Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim, Tumble, and
Use Magic Device? I'd be willing to swap some of those out, especially Tumble.

Remove ads