Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Indeed. Also lead is problematic, as their are no rules for lead weapons, and it's not an "official" DR-overcoming material.

It sounds like a fun idea for an individual DM to implement in his campaign, though.

For that matter, it's not officially an anti-magic material. It's proof against a few Divination spells but that's about it, at least as far as the SRD goes.

Cleon

Legend
Arise O Serpent!

I've discovered we're lacking a conversion of the Albino Wyrm from Dragon 227 and Monstrous Compendium Annual 4, so I'm reviving this thread again.

According to Echohawk's Monster Index, the Albino Wyrm had an unofficial 3.5 conversion in the "Frilond Campaign" website, but that site appears to be defunct now so we don't have those 3E stats.

So, without further ado. Here are its original stats from “The Dragon’s Bestiary - Monsters of the Underdark” by Wolfgang Baur, from Dragon Magazine 227 (March 1996):

Wyrm, Albino
CLIMATE/TERRAIN:
Any Underdark
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Family
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: High (13–14)
TREASURE: I, U
ALIGNMENT: Neutral Evil
NO. APPEARING: 1–3
ARMOR CLASS: 4 base
MOVEMENT: 15, Burrow 3
HIT DICE: 7 base
THAC0: 13 base
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1–4/1–4/6–36
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Breath weapon, swallow whole, tail
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Immune to cold
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
SIZE: G (10’ + long)
MORALE: Average (8–10)
XP VALUE: Varies

These gaunt, sinewy, wingless creatures are thought to be the descendants of dragons that long ago became trapped in the darkness of the caves, perhaps white dragons. The difficulty in finding prey in the Underdark has made them small, flightless predators who rely on stealth to strike and take down prey. They are found only in the deepest depths of the Underdark.

The albino wyrm has red eyes, mottled white scales, and brownish claws. Its wings are semi-transparent and offer about a 13- to 18-foot wingspan.

Combat: Albino wyrms have very weak claws, useful largely for burrowing, and a very powerful bites; they can also constrict their prey with their prehensile tails. This tail attack can pick up any creature behind it and crush it for 1–8 hp damage/round. Armor must make a saving throw versus normal blow each round or be destroyed.

The wyrms small, almost transparent wings are used only in courtship or threat displays and are reminiscent of remorhaz wings. They confer no advantage in combat and cannot bear the creature’s weight into the air.

While their wings have faded into uselessness, albino wyrms’ jaws have expanded, allowing the creature to swallow its prey whole on any roll of 4 or more than the number required to hit, and any natural 20. Swallowed creatures make all attacks at –4 and cannot use any large weapons or bludgeoning weapons; unless the swallowed creature does not need to breath, it falls unconscious in 1–4 rounds from lack of air.

When attacking with its breath weapon, the albino wyrm makes a distinctive rattling hiss the moment before loosing its chilling breath. The breath weapon inflicts damage as shown above; it also destroys (generally by shattering) objects that fail an item saving throw vs. cold.

No spell-using albino wyrms have ever been recorded.

Habitat/Society: If indeed these are the descendants or an offshoot of dragonkind, then the albino wyrms have indeed fallen far; most are barely sane, barely able to express a coherent thought. They still progress along the same age categories as other dragons, but few survive past the adult age category (5). Unlike almost all other dragons, albino wyrms do not collect treasure that they cannot carry; the need to hunt outweighs the need to gather baubles into a lair. However, they are intelligent enough to recognize and use magical treasures, and often wear jewelry on wingtips, claws, and tail.

Several drow houses are known to keep albino wyrms as house animals and guardians. They are difficult to tame or to train; their predatory instincts are not easily turned to any useful purpose.

Ecology: The albino wyrms are at the top of the cave ecosystem; few creatures can harm them. Their constant need for food keeps them on the prowl; albino wyrms are almost always encountered in motion. They are thought to sleep no more than 5% of the time.

Deep dragons considering albino wyrms “despicable” and worthy only of destruction. The two species fight whenever they meet, with the deep dragons emerging victorious in all but a handful of cases.

Age ' Body Lgt. ' Tail Lgt. '' AC ' Breath Weapon. ' MR ' Treasure Type ' XP Value
1 ' ' ' 2-5 ' ' ' ' 1-4 ' ' ' ' 4 ' ' ' 1d8+2 ' ' ' Nil ' ' ' Nil ' ' '' ' ' 1,400
2 ' ' ' 5-10 ' '' ' 4-8 ' ' ' ' 2 ' ' ' 2d8+3 ' ' ' Nil ' ' ' Nil ' ' '' ' ' 3,000
3 '' ' 10-14 ' '' ' 8-12 ' '' ' 0 ' ' ' 3d8+4 ' ' ' Nil ' ' ' ' U ' ' '' ' ' 6,000
4 '' ' 14-22 ' ' ' 12-16 ' ' ' -1 ' ' ' 4d8+5 ' ' ' Nil ' ' ' I,U ' ' '' ' ' 8,000
5 '' ' 22-28 ' ' ' 16-25 ' ' ' -2 ' ' ' 5d8+6 ' ' ' Nil ' ' ' I,U ' ' ' ' ' 11,000
6 '' ' 28-40 ' ' ' 25-36 ' ' ' -3 ' ' ' 6d8+7 ' ' ' 10% ' ' ' I,U ' ' ' ' ' 13,000
7 '' ' 40-55 ' ' ' 36-50 ' ' ' -4 ' ' ' 7d8+8 ' ' ' 15% ' ' ' I,U ' ' ' ' ' 15,000
8 '' ' 55-66 ' ' ' 50-58 ' ' ' -5 ' ' ' 8d8+10 '' ' 20% ' ' ' I,U ' ' ' ' ' 16,000
9 '' ' 66-80 ' ' ' 58-70 ' ' ' -6 '' ' 10d8+12 '' ' 25% ' ' ' I,U×2 ' ' ' ' 18,000
10 ' ' 80-89 ' ' ' 70-77 ' ' ' -8 '' ' 12d8+14 '' ' 35% ' ' ' I,U×2 ' ' ' ' 19,000
11 ' ' 89-96 ' ' ' 77-90 ' ' ' -10 ' ' 14d8+16 '' ' 45% ' ' I×2,U×3,W ' ' ' 20,000
22 ' ' 96-110 '' ' 90-120 ' '' -13 ' ' 18d8+20 '' ' 60% ' I×3,U×4,V,W×2 ' ' 22,000

Dragon-Kin, Albino Wyrm
This wyrm also appears as a Dragon-Kin in MCA4 - Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four (1998) with pretty much identical text.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, it should be slightly easier than most true dragons due to the lack of spells and a number of special abilities.

I guess first we should decide on an ability progression. I'd favor starting with a white dragon and downgrading the mental stats quite a bit (maybe the physical ones a little, too).

Cleon

Legend
Well, it should be slightly easier than most true dragons due to the lack of spells and a number of special abilities.

I guess first we should decide on an ability progression. I'd favor starting with a white dragon and downgrading the mental stats quite a bit (maybe the physical ones a little, too).

Yes, I was thinking we should modify the SRD White Dragon for the stats too.

I'm wondering whether we could do this as an "Albino Wyrm" template and use a white dragon as a "base dragon", thereby creating a "White Albino Wyrm" sample creature?

That means I wouldn't have to upload it as a Dragon! :eek:

Also, I find the tautology of a "White Albino Wyrm" amusing. Almost as funny as the potential of a "Red Albino Wyrm"...

If you don't like the names we could call the template "Subterranean Dragon-Kin" and the sample "Albino Wyrm".

freyar

That's a really good idea; it would be something similar to the feral dragon template from the Advanced Bestiary. If you like that also, let's go for it. From what Shade said, not uploading as a dragon would be much better.

But I do think we'd need to change the name as you suggest.

Cleon

Legend
That's a really good idea; it would be something similar to the feral dragon template from the Advanced Bestiary. If you like that also, let's go for it. From what Shade said, not uploading as a dragon would be much better.

Uploading a dragon looks like it's horrible - you've got to enter every field of the Dragon Age Ability tables. Both of them!

So, let's go ahead with a "templated" approach.

But I do think we'd need to change the name as you suggest.

What name would you like?

I think I'd rather keep "Albino Wyrm" for the actual sample creature.

How about "Albino Dragon-Kin" for the template name?

We could call them "Pallid Dragon-Kin" I suppose and still keep the suggestion that they're paler than a normal dragon, or "Subterranean Dragon-Kin" as they like underground.

I'm preferring "Albino Dragon-Kin (Template)" though.

freyar

Sure, that works.

Template applies to any dragon?
Size and type (and HD, etc) unchanged.
Loses flight speed, gains burrow speed.
Improved bite damage, loses wing attacks, gains imp grab with bite and tails slap, gains swallow whole and constrict. Loses casting.
Changes to abilities.
Reduced treasure, probably mainly items.

Anything else you can think of?

Cleon

Legend
Sure, that works.

Template applies to any dragon?
Size and type (and HD, etc) unchanged.
Loses flight speed, gains burrow speed.
Improved bite damage, loses wing attacks, gains imp grab with bite and tails slap, gains swallow whole and constrict. Loses casting.
Changes to abilities.
Reduced treasure, probably mainly items.

Anything else you can think of?

The claws are supposed to be weaker.

Weaker and used to burrow through rock, as if that makes sense!

I suggest it bites through rock like a Purple Worm, occasionally using its puny limbs to push rubble out of the way.

Apart from that I think the above pretty well covers it. Maybe we'll modify the Spell Resistance too.

We need to compare the 2E White Dragon to the Albino, shall I post their stat tables side-by-side?

freyar

That's reasonable flavor for the burrow speed.

If you'd be willing to post those tables, I'm sure that would be helpful.

Remove ads