Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
So is the text as suggested sufficient?

Sure. Is this OK for the next Mystaran Amber Dragon Working Draft update?

On hatching, a Mystaran amber dragon’s scales are dark brown with golden flecks.

The flecks get larger as the dragon matures until, at the young adult stage, the scales are completely golden. The scales rapidly darken to brown-black at the adult stage, then change back to golden when the dragon enters the old stage. Mystaran amber dragons’ faces are bewhiskered and sagacious; as they age, their pupils fade until the eyes resemble pools of molten gold.

A young adult or elderly Mystaran amber dragon looks very much like a gold dragon, the main difference is their shimmering golden scales are slightly transparent, like amber. A DC 20 Spot or Knowledge (arcana) check is required to notice the difference.

Cleon

Legend
Should we replace "elderly" with "old or older"? Otherwise, it looks good.

That'd be two "ors" though "A young adult or old or older Mystaran amber dragon", which seems a bit clumsy.

Hmm, both "old and older" and "older than old" don't seem quite right.

How about "A young adult or elderly Mystaran amber dragon (old and older)"?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Subtype, I guess. It's a bit hard picking a single elemental/energy subtype for it, since its two breath weapons are quite distinct. Fire would be once possibility, but Water Breathing is a little weird in that case. I kind of like Chaotic for it, especially in opposition to the gold dragon, but dragons don't generally get alignment subtypes. I guess I'd probably go either with Fire or else drop the subtype. There's precedent for that, IIRC. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Subtype, I guess. It's a bit hard picking a single elemental/energy subtype for it, since its two breath weapons are quite distinct. Fire would be once possibility, but Water Breathing is a little weird in that case. I kind of like Chaotic for it, especially in opposition to the gold dragon, but dragons don't generally get alignment subtypes. I guess I'd probably go either with Fire or else drop the subtype. There's precedent for that, IIRC. What do you think?

I'm leaning towards Fire since that's what the Gold Dragon has - who also have Water Breathing, for what it's worth.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, let's go with Fire.

I'm thinking environment should be "Warm plains" like the Gold, since the "details of preferred terrain, attacks, size, age, treasure, etc" are supposed to be similar to the listed standard dragon.

Thoughts about tactics?

Remove ads