Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure, I'm fine with making things more deadly. :devil: I think I'd suggest a similar progression for whatever we do with the ruby melting breath --- which I think we're ready to deal with now.

freyar

I don't think we decided on a frequency, but once per hour seems reasonable to me based on the original version.

See, I would do something very similar to the jade curse but (a) specifying the damage as fire damage (or half-fire, half-untyped) and (b) making it harder to stop. Actually, that makes me wonder, should the jade curse do acid damage to items?

Cleon

Legend
I don't think we decided on a frequency, but once per hour seems reasonable to me based on the original version.

See, I would do something very similar to the jade curse but (a) specifying the damage as fire damage (or half-fire, half-untyped) and (b) making it harder to stop. Actually, that makes me wonder, should the jade curse do acid damage to items?

I wouldn't have the Jade Curse do acid damage to items - although they may have taken acid damage from the initial breath. Keeping it typeless will prevent the owner blocking the curse with a simple acid resistance effect. If you're suggesting acid damage AND typeless damage I'd be against the idea. any items in D&D have relatively few hit points. If we "double up" the damage most of their valuables could crumble away too quickly for them to do anything about it.

Cleon

Legend

The original breath weapon destroyed items in 10-60 rounds, suggesting it's a matter of minutes rather than hours.

I'd go for minutes.

freyar

It's been a while since my last post, but I think I was talking about making some of the curse damage acid --- not all of it and also not increasing the total amount.

For the ruby curse, maybe a frequency of once per minute then?

Cleon

Legend
It's been a while since my last post, but I think I was talking about making some of the curse damage acid --- not all of it and also not increasing the total amount.

But if we did that targets that are resistant to acid would take less damage from the Jade Curse, which is not indicated in the original text, where it's resistance to disease that has that effect.

I'd be OK making the Ruby Curse half fire damage though, since fire resistant targets take twice as long to be destroyed.

For the ruby curse, maybe a frequency of once per minute then?

So do you still want to make the Jade Curse hour-based, or are you fine with minutes for both?

freyar

Typeless damage for the jade is ok, but I do like half fire for the ruby curse.

And I'd keep the jade curse with a frequency in hours while giving the ruby curse a frequency of minutes. The original ruby breath destroys things faster than the jade breath does.

Remove ads