Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
"The disk-like creatures—if creatures they truly are—float slowly through the skies of Gnibile at a speed of about 12; they can achieve a maximum speed of 12, but they will not do so without a good reason."

That quote sounds to me that they don't usually go at 12, so I'd think they are in a particular hurry to get somewhere when they're moving that fast. In any case, it's not a big deal, but I prefer the simpler mechanic.

Cleon

Legend
"The disk-like creatures—if creatures they truly are—float slowly through the skies of Gnibile at a speed of about 12; they can achieve a maximum speed of 12, but they will not do so without a good reason."

That quote sounds to me that they don't usually go at 12, so I'd think they are in a particular hurry to get somewhere when they're moving that fast. In any case, it's not a big deal, but I prefer the simpler mechanic.

Surely the "float slowly through the skies of Gnibile at a speed of about 12" means they usually fly as "about 12", implying that their maximum speed of 12 is not that much higher than their "cruising" speed.

I'm not seeing much support for their normal speed being a quarter of their top speed, which is what your proposal of base speed 15 ft. would mean.

More to the point, they have a "12" in their speed line which directly matches to a 3E speed of 30 ft.

So I still prefer a 30 ft. (6 squares, cannot Run) approach. If you're dead set against that I'd rather just make it 30 ft. (6 squares) than 15 ft. and add some flavour text about them not hurrying about.

Hmm, come to think of it, could a Porton Dive to double its speed? Under the RAW they can, but on a physics point of view how would a weightless incorporeal creature use gravity to accelerate its descent?

freyar

I think the fact that they don't achieve speed 12 "without a good reason" and that they "float slowly" makes it ambiguous. But in the interest of getting things moving, I'll go along with 30 ft, can't run.

Don't get into the physics point of view. They're massless, so they should be moving at the speed of light. :p

Cleon

Legend
I think the fact that they don't achieve speed 12 "without a good reason" and that they "float slowly" makes it ambiguous. But in the interest of getting things moving, I'll go along with 30 ft, can't run.

Done!

Updating the Porton Working Draft.

Don't get into the physics point of view. They're massless, so they should be moving at the speed of light. :p

Well the may not have mass, but they don't have a Strength score to provide motive force either.

Anyhow, it's AC next.

The original monster had "AC: N/A" due to them being insubstantial things that plane-sucked away anything that hit them.

At the moment they come out AC 4 (-8 size, +2 Dex). Shall we stick to that, or give them a higher Cha so they get a deflection bonus on top of that?

I'm OK with Armor Class 4 at the moment, but am equally fine with a higher AC.

freyar

I suppose it depends if you want to increase the Void Field save DC. I think AC 4 is probably ok since they're incorporeal anyway.

Cleon

Legend
I suppose it depends if you want to increase the Void Field save DC. I think AC 4 is probably ok since they're incorporeal anyway.

Yeah, let's leave it AC 4.

Updating the Porton Working Draft.

The Space/Reach of 40/30 is OK as far as I'm concerned.

We need a number for the Spell Resistance. The original had 15%, which translates as CR +4 according to the conversion notes.

That'd mean something if we had a CR for it! I'd eyeball it as about a CR 14 or CR 15, since it's got incorporeality, plenty of immunities, and its plane-shifting and dark lightning make for a nasty defense and offense package. It's certainly a lot meaner than a CR 11 Air Elemental despite having the same HD. A Nightshade (CR 14) or 24 Hit Dice Dread Wraith (CR 13) seem a better comparison.

That'd give it a spell resistance around 19 - which'd be OK, although I'd be fine bumping it up a bit. Maybe to SR 23?

freyar

Everything you say is true enough, though the fact that they can't pay attention to anything larger than Huge makes them a bit less threatening to PCs flying on their own or on mounts. But I guess I could go with CR 13 or 14 and SR 19 to 22.

Cleon

Legend
Everything you say is true enough, though the fact that they can't pay attention to anything larger than Huge makes them a bit less threatening to PCs flying on their own or on mounts. But I guess I could go with CR 13 or 14 and SR 19 to 22.

How about CR 14, SR 21 then?

That'd just leaves Environment and Advancement.

For Environment, the original had "The skies of Gnibile". I'd be OK with that, actually. Maybe with a (see below) added.

As for the Advancement, giving them 25-48 HD like an Elder Elemental seems appropriate.

freyar

That'll work.

Tactics: Portons typically ignore other creatures and objects; indeed, they can't sense anything smaller than a large wagon. Portons barely respond to attacks at all, just blasting foes with dark lightning while continuing what they are doing.

Remove ads