Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
:confused: I don't see anything in the SRD entry on natural weapons about primary/secondary using Str/1/2-Str or bites using 1/2 Str. We should just be able to choose. But I guess the SQ is fine.

Cleon

Legend
:confused: I don't see anything in the SRD entry on natural weapons about primary/secondary using Str/1/2-Str or bites using 1/2 Str. We should just be able to choose. But I guess the SQ is fine.

The SRD's "Reading the Monster Entries" general info on Attacks and Full Attacks seems pretty clear to me.

As to whether its bite or claws should be Primary, there are examples of both in the SRD (e.g. Leopards have Primary Bite/Secondary Claws and Lions Primary Claws/Secondary Bite), so we can pick whichever we like.

I'll leave the SQ in place, then.

So, are we keeping it a regular animal or making it a Dire Animal like a Smilodon?

If the current stats are OK by you, we just need to decide on its skill points.

freyar

Darn it, why can't they list these things in the abilities sections under natural attacks, too? Cross-referencing is so nice...

Yes, just leave that SQ.

I vote no on dire, to distinguish it from the dire lion.

Cleon

Legend
Darn it, why can't they list these things in the abilities sections under natural attacks, too? Cross-referencing is so nice...

Yes, just leave that SQ.

I vote no on dire, to distinguish it from the dire lion.

I'm fine either way. The extra +3 Will save from Dire is tempting, but I don't mind plain Animal either.

Might as well leave it as-is, and if Shade prefers Dire I'll upgrade it to Will +6.

Cleon

Legend
Right. I think we can go with what you have in red, also.

Hold on, shouldn't its Advancement max out at 21 HD, not 18? Probably copied it from the SRD Tiger and forgot to change it.

I'll update the Working Draft.

The SRD Lion has skill points of Balance 0, Hide 0, Jump 0, Listen 2, Move Silently 4, Spot 2.

The Spotted Lion has two more skill points than the SRD Lion. I'd suggest an extra point in Listen and Spot based on the example of the SRD Dire Lion's skill points of Balance 0, Hide 0, Jump 0, Listen 4, Move Silently 3, Spot 4.

Balance 0, Hide 0, Jump 0, Listen 3, Move Silently 4, Spot 3.

freyar

Well, the HD advancement cap can be anywhere we like, but I'd agree with you. ;)

The skill ranks look good.

Borrow liberally from "A dire lion attacks by running at prey, leaping, and clawing and biting as it rakes with its rear claws. It often jumps onto a creature larger than itself."?

"Spotted lions chase their prey over a sprint, pouncing upon them once in range. They usually grab onto larger creatures, raking as much as possible."

Cleon

Legend
Well, the HD advancement cap can be anywhere we like, but I'd agree with you. ;)

The skill ranks look good.

Borrow liberally from "A dire lion attacks by running at prey, leaping, and clawing and biting as it rakes with its rear claws. It often jumps onto a creature larger than itself."?

"Spotted lions chase their prey over a sprint, pouncing upon them once in range. They usually grab onto larger creatures, raking as much as possible."

That "chase their prey over a sprint" doesn't read very well.

How about...

A spotted lion charges prey, pouncing upon them once in range. It then claws and bites as it rakes with its rear claws. They often attack larger opponents.

Remove ads