• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about "sophisticate"? ;)

These are mostly done. I think we can remove the ? on CR; they are mostly similar to the CR2 Large viper, but the poison and bite are better (plus it has mesmerize animal). I think that's worth the point of CR.

My go-to collective animal nouns list says that a group of cobras is a "quiver." Want to use that for the group?

Cleon

Legend
How about "sophisticate"? ;)

These are mostly done. I think we can remove the ? on CR; they are mostly similar to the CR2 Large viper, but the poison and bite are better (plus it has mesmerize animal). I think that's worth the point of CR.

My go-to collective animal nouns list says that a group of cobras is a "quiver." Want to use that for the group?

I was thinking "nest" since I've often heard folk say "a nest of cobras", but never "quiver".

How much accreditation does a "quiver of cobras" have, anyway? I suspect a good many of these collective nouns include names of recent invention. I doubt there's a traditional collective noun for cobras in English, since they're not native to the UK.

So, I'd feel happier using one of the collective nouns for snakes - a bed, den, knot, nest, or pit.

Still, I suppose there's no harm done if we use quiver. Are you strongly in favor of it?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Wikipedia also says "quiver" (and so does another collective animal name site, if you google search). Pit, nest, or bed are more generic for snakes. So I'd rather be less generic and use quiver. We're just not used to talking about lots of cobras.

Cleon

Legend
Wikipedia also says "quiver" (and so does another collective animal name site, if you google search). Pit, nest, or bed are more generic for snakes. So I'd rather be less generic and use quiver. We're just not used to talking about lots of cobras.

Well I have my doubts as to the authenticity of "a quiver of cobras", but if you like it I don't mind using that in the organisation.

Updating Working Draft.

Shade

Monster Junkie
"Quiver" sounds fun. I seem to remember seeing a fantasy movie at one time where they stiffened snakes into arrows. :lol:

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, that's odd.

I could have sworn I updated the Working Draft's poison to the potency and DC we'd agreed on, but it still has the old text.

It ought to be:

Poison (Ex): A giant cobra has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d8 Con unless the victim succeeds at a DC 15 Fortitude save. The save DCs is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads