Converting prehistoric creatures

Cleon

Legend
I recall the ogre being under-CRed, so that's probably not the best creature to use for comparison purposes. But I'm really not good at judging CRs at all -- it's been far too long since I ran any 3.x monsters. :(

I'll let a coin toss decide instead... and the coin seems to think that the ferry turtle should be CR 3.

Ha! Victory is Mine!! Random Numbers are My Friend!!!

Oh and Updating Working Draft!!!!

I Think That's Enough Exclamation Marks!!!!!

Cleon

Legend
So Freyar, where are you standing on the Size Advancement and Organization questions?

I think they probably shouldn't get any bigger. They were magically enlarged in the first place, so it strikes me that their default size should be the largest they get.
I'm OK either way.

Reptiles tend to grow slowly throughout their adult lives, so wouldn't mind it if particularly ancient Ferry Turtles grown to Huge size, but if you're all agin' it I'd be OK without size Advancement.

I'm leaning towards giving them have a size advancement, but would be OK without it.

Turtles are pretty social in my experience, in as much as they hang around in fairly large groups as often as not, even if they don't really interact most of the time. So I'd think a group organization of 4-20 is reasonable. One noun for a group of turtles is a "bale"; how about using that?
Quite, it's the "hanging around together" that I was thinking of.

Bale's a good collective noun for them. Maybe it's inspired by the goods they ferry?

I was thinking of a smaller number than that. The Giant Snapping Turtle is encountered in groups of 1-4, and the Giant Sea Turtle has a 1-3 No. Appearing.

How about 2-8 for the Ferry Turtle group size?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's leave off the size advancement, I think. But I'd go 5-8 HD (Large).

2-8 for the bale is fine.

freyar

I assume we're happy with the stats.

Tactics: Ferry turtles are docile creatures who usually prefer to withdraw into their shells rather than fight. When forced, however, they attack with a powerful bite.

Cleon

Legend
I assume we're happy with the stats.

You assume correctly.

Tactics: Ferry turtles are docile creatures who usually prefer to withdraw into their shells rather than fight. When forced, however, they attack with a powerful bite.

I'd like to add a "swim away" option:

Ferry turtles are docile creatures who would rather swim away or withdraw into their shells than fight. When forced, however, they attack with a powerful bite.

freyar

Sure thing, update away. Any ideas on background? The original has some text about magical breeding, so shall we keep that?

freyar

Hmmm.... I like the descriptive text, by the way.

Ferry turtles were originally enlarged magically as a means of river transportation, but their size bred true through a quirk of fate.

Hmm. I was about to put in a bit about their intelligence and liking to ferry things, but I got to thinking about training. Should we add a training section with the usual magical beast modifications?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm.... I like the descriptive text, by the way.

Yes, "A turtle of unusual size" was definitely one of the best things I've ever written. :p

Shall I update the Tactics with the proposed "Ferry turtles are docile creatures who would rather swim away or withdraw into their shells than fight. When forced, however, they attack with a powerful bite."

Ferry turtles were originally enlarged magically as a means of river transportation, but their size bred true through a quirk of fate.

Needs some work methinks, I'll have a think after work today...

Hmm. I was about to put in a bit about their intelligence and liking to ferry things, but I got to thinking about training. Should we add a training section with the usual magical beast modifications?

They should probably have a Training Section, yes.

Remove ads