• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
That's what I get for forgetting to check the entry before posting!

Hmm...

It probably makes more sense to have them take hit points damage from water, rather than making it an all-on-nothing "save or die".

I vaguely recall us having something similar with another of our monster conversions, but I can't recall which one - there are too many of the dang things!

Okay, I found a couple of the creatures I was thinking of - the Ash Mephit and the Desert Ghost:

Creature Catalog said:
Vulnerability to Water and Wind (Ex): Ash mephits are particularly vulnerable to air effects and strong winds. An ash mephit takes half again as much (+50%) damage from spells or effects with the air descriptor, and are treated as if in gaseous form for purposes of wind effects. Additionally, ash mephits are particularly vulnerable to water, and contact with it (such as reaching into a pool or being splashed with a vial or bucket of water) inflicts 2d6 points of damage per strike. Complete immersion (including being caught in the rain or being subjected to a high volume of water, as from the geyser function of a decanter of endless water) inflicts 6d6 points of damage per round.

Vulnerability to Water (Ex): Desert ghosts have vulnerability to water. Desert ghosts take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from water-based effects and attacks, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

A desert ghost splashed with water will suffer 1d8 hp in damage.

That seems the easiest approach. How about:

Susceptibility to Water (Ex): A lightning quasi-elemental takes half again as much damage (+50%) when injured by a water-based attack.

A quasi-elemental is injured by contact with water; the damage ranges from 1d4 point for a small amount (light rain or a phial full), 1d8 for a gallon or so (heavy downpour or a waterskin), and up to 8d8 for complete immersion.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. How about we just give it the same value as DR for each age category? If you don't think that's enough, we could start at 5, increase to 10 at Huge, and then go to 15 or 20 at Elder.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. How about we just give it the same value as DR for each age category? If you don't think that's enough, we could start at 5, increase to 10 at Huge, and then go to 15 or 20 at Elder.

That would mean any Lightning Quasi smaller than large would have no energy resistance.

I'm thinking either DR + 5:

Small to Medium = resistance 5.
Large to Huge = resistance 10.
Greater to Elder = resistance 15.
Monolith = resistance 20.

Or double DR, minimum 5:

Small to Medium = resistance 5.
Large to Huge = resistance 10.
Greater to Elder = resistance 20.
Monolith = resistance 30.

Any preferences?

Remove ads