Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd also go with swift and low damage. As for location, though, I think I'd (for simplicity) always have it end adjacent to the target (exact position chosen by quasi) but have to make a ranged touch attack to do the damage. How would that work for you?

That works for me! A workable alternative would be to have the target make a Reflex save to avoid the damage, but I prefer the swift action attack roll.

So, same electrical damage as its lightning balls and/or electricity defence? That would make sense.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, I'd probably give the electricity, globes, and arc all the same damage, but I'd scale it with size or age category.

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded metal object (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). This ability otherwise functions as a dimension door spell.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I'd probably give the electricity, globes, and arc all the same damage, but I'd scale it with size or age category.

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded metal object (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). This ability otherwise functions as a dimension door spell.

The basics of that look fine.

The original monster had "any grounded or metallic object with a mass greater than 5 pounds" for the target requirements, allowing it to Arc to ungrounded metallic objects as well. I think that bit needs updating.

Methinks the damage explanation would work better with "it also deals electricity damage equal to its Electricity special attack (see below)."

Oh, and weren't we including an explanation of what happens if it "misses" the ranged touch attack? You were in favour of it just ending up somewhere adjacent to the target, but I wouldn't mind adding the possibility of it "mis-arcing" to somewhere it did not want to end up.

freyar

I think Electricity would be an SQ rather than an SA --- it's effectively a defense like the hamatula's Barbed Defense, which is an SQ.

My feeling on the movement is that it should always go where it wants, since the original didn't have any sort of mis-teleportation. I think it just always ends up adjacent to the target regardless of whether it hits or not.

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object of more than 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). This ability otherwise functions as a dimension door spell.

Cleon

Legend
I think Electricity would be an SQ rather than an SA --- it's effectively a defense like the hamatula's Barbed Defense, which is an SQ.

My feeling on the movement is that it should always go where it wants, since the original didn't have any sort of mis-teleportation. I think it just always ends up adjacent to the target regardless of whether it hits or not.

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object of more than 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). This ability otherwise functions as a dimension door spell.

I think the phrasing of the first sentence could do with a slight tweak: "adjacent to any grounded object or a metal object weighing more than 5 lb".

While I don't mind cutting out the "grenade-like miss" option, I think we'd better specify what happens if the quasi tries to arc to an invalid target.

Maybe "If a lightning quasi-elemental attempts to arc to an object that's not grounded or metal, it randomly arcs to an alternative grounded or metal object within 30 feet of the target location. The new destination must be within the arc's 180 foot range. If no valid destination objects are within range, the arc fails and the quasi-elemental does not move."?

freyar

Hmm, so this?

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object weighing at least 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). If a lightning quasi-elemental attempts to arc to an object that's not grounded or metal, it randomly arcs to an alternative grounded or metal object within 30 feet of the target location. The new destination must be within the arc's 180 foot range. If no valid destination objects are within range, the arc fails and the quasi-elemental does not move.

What if we simplify the "failure" bit some more?

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object weighing at least 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). If a lightning quasi-elemental attempts to arc to an object that's not grounded or metal, the arc fails and the quasi-elemental does not move.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, so this?

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object weighing at least 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). If a lightning quasi-elemental attempts to arc to an object that's not grounded or metal, it randomly arcs to an alternative grounded or metal object within 30 feet of the target location. The new destination must be within the arc's 180 foot range. If no valid destination objects are within range, the arc fails and the quasi-elemental does not move.

What if we simplify the "failure" bit some more?

Arc (Su): As a swift action, a lightning quasi-elemental can move up to 180 ft to a location adjacent to any grounded object or metal object weighing at least 5 lb (including creatures wearing metal armor). If the quasi-elemental succeeds at a ranged touch attack roll against the object, it also deals electricity damage equal to the damage dealt by its Electricity SQ (see below). If a lightning quasi-elemental attempts to arc to an object that's not grounded or metal, the arc fails and the quasi-elemental does not move.

Either of those would work for me, but I prefer the first one since it feels more "Lightning-y" to have it still move.

freyar

Electricity is fine, then. ;)

The ability as written is ok, but I think it should probably specify that a grappled/grappling opponent takes electricity damage each round (sort of like a combination of barbed defense and impale from the barbed devil). And we need a table for the damage. I guess 1d6 should be the damage for the Medium quasi-elemental with usual size category advancement. Sound ok to you?

Electricity (Ex): A lightning quasi-elemental is composed completely of electricity; therefore any creature touched or touching it takes electricity damage as specified in the table, and an opponent grappling or grappled by the quasi-elemental takes damage each round it remains in the grapple. An opponent grasping or wearing conductive material (metal weapon, armor, and so on) that comes into contact with a lightning quasi-elemental (including by making a successful melee attack against it) takes damage also.

<Table>

Remove ads