• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
It's not that far off from other elementals, though. We could tweak just a bit, if you like, but I don't think they should be several AC points higher than the highest SRD elementals. I suppose I'd be willing to add +1 to deflection at the smaller sizes and +2 or +3 max to the larger sizes.

I think the higher-grade Vacuum Quasis ought to be at least the same AC as an Air Elemental. I'm not so bothered about the lower-grade ones since their invisibility is more likely to make a difference.

Cleon

Legend
What if we do a deflection progression of +2/+3/+3/+4/+5/+6/+9?

I don't mind it starting at +2 and +3, but I'd rather the high-grade versions have enough deflection to give them an AC at least equal to an Air Elemental.

Let's see, that'd require the same deflection adjustments as the Vacuum #2 in post #1475, which has +3/+3/+4/+4/+8/+8/+14.

Maybe drop the low end of that to, say, +1/+2/+3/+4/+8/+8/+14?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I'm ok with either up through the elder, but I've just realized that monoliths don't seem to be in the SRD anywhere. Where are you comparing to?

Cleon

Legend
Well, I'm ok with either up through the elder, but I've just realized that monoliths don't seem to be in the SRD anywhere. Where are you comparing to?

I'm doing this from a laptop at the moment so I'm away from my sources, but if memory serves me right the Elemental Monoliths originally appeared in the 3E Planar Handbook.

freyar

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. I can get behind an increased deflection bonus. Let's do +1/+2/+3/+4/+8/+8/+14.

Cleon

Legend
Yup, go for it!

Updating Vacuum Quasi-Elemental.

I had suggested some tactics up-thread a bit, post 1446. Did you have edits you'd like to do for those?

Let's see...

Vacuum quasi-elementals are hostile to material beings and usually attack them on sight, slamming into them with their invisible bodies. Exposure to atmosphere seems to enrage them, and they tend to employ their void storm ability as soon as they contact air, although most are cunning enough not to use all their rounds of void storm, reserving some capacity to attack air-breathing opponents.

Better?

freyar

That'll work.

For background, we know
HABITAT/SOCIETY: Vacuum quasielementals are surprisingly gregarious creatures, gathering in small groups whenever possible to converse and interact. On the other hand, they have no love for any other beings and usually attack intruders on their quasiplane. Like their cousins of salt, vacuum quasielementals prefer to remain on their home plane. Sure, every elemental creature feels a certain level of discomfort when in an alien environment, but vacuum quasielementals actually dislike using their absorption abilities, which physically tire them.

ECOLOGY: Much about vacuum quasielementals remains dark. Fact is, no one really knows how they sustain themselves; it’s just conjecture that they feed upon the air they draw into themselves. They may not need anything at all to survive. Or perhaps, like the strange egarus fungi also found on the Quasiplane of Vacuum, the creatures literally survive on nothing — that is, nothingness.
and
Nature may abhor a vacuum, but magic-users find these airless creatures useful as both protectors and laboratory aides (they may provide an environment without dust by removing the air that keeps the dust suspended). As such, they are valued when encountered on the Prime Material planes. This rarely occurs, as most which survive are those locked in some airtight compartment which they have drained of air, or (it is rumored) in the spaces between the planets and stars.

I guess the big points are that they are rarely found outside the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum but are sometimes used as guardians by wizards. We could also mention their social nature when at "home."

Remove ads