Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
That'll work well enough. And I believe we already agreed to leave skills as-is. We also agreed to leave darkvision, DR, elemental traits, negative adaptation as they are but drop vulnerabilities and immunities.

For CR, I think I'd go CR 1, 2 (shouldn't that be 18 hp, BTW?), 4,...

You know, I'm going to stop, as the HD on these are a bit low compared to normal elementals, which I think should reduce the CR. And the Ash quasis have the same issues. Should we revisit CR of that, also? (Another thing: the Large Ash should have 6d8+24 hp.)

The theory I was going on was they've got lower Hit Dice but their special attacks are more effective than regular elementals to balance it out. That, and the CRs of the SRD Elementals being a bit quiffy in places means I'm not that bothered about it.

I'll update the Dust Quasi-Elemental Working Draft with skills, feats, and hit points fixes.

Better check the Ash Quasi-Elemental Working Draft hit points while I'm at it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. Tactics: Dust quasi-elementals tend to enter combat in whirlwind form, damaging and blinding as many opponents as possible. If they take damage or cannot maintain their whirlwind form, they attack and engulf the most dangerous opponents first in the hopes of disintegrating them.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. Tactics: Dust quasi-elementals tend to enter combat in whirlwind form, damaging and blinding as many opponents as possible. If they take damage or cannot maintain their whirlwind form, they attack and engulf the most dangerous opponents first in the hopes of disintegrating them.

The special attack's called dust storm, not whirlwind, but apart from that the tactics look sound to me...

How's this:

Dust quasi-elementals tend to enter combat in dust storm form, blinding and damaging as many opponents as possibly. If the dust storm proves ineffective or cannot be maintained, these quasi-elementals switch to slam and engulf attacks, targeting the most dangerous opponents first in the hopes of disintegrating them.

freyar

Those tactics look fine to me.

I'll take a crack at some flavor text, based on the Ash:

Dust quasi-elementals are embodiments of entropy from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, which is formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Earth. While they might seem evil, dust quasi-elementals are not much different than a tornado or mudslide in motivation. Destruction nourishes them, and great devastation can spawn more of this kind.

Leaderless mobs of dust quasi-elementals roam the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, disintegrating whatever they find. They make no special effort to leave the Quasi-Elemental Plane, but they make no effort to return if they find themselves elsewhere, either, content to wreak havoc whereever they are.

Sorry I've been so slow posting. It's been pretty crazy this week both personally and at work. Since I'm hosting a conference in a week and a half, I'm not sure work will be much better for a while, either. :erm:

Cleon

Legend
Those tactics look fine to me.

I'll take a crack at some flavor text, based on the Ash:

Dust quasi-elementals are embodiments of entropy from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, which is formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Earth. While they might seem evil, dust quasi-elementals are not much different than a tornado or mudslide in motivation. Destruction nourishes them, and great devastation can spawn more of this kind.

Leaderless mobs of dust quasi-elementals roam the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, disintegrating whatever they find. They make no special effort to leave the Quasi-Elemental Plane, but they make no effort to return if they find themselves elsewhere, either, content to wreak havoc whereever they are.

There's nothing about them being spawned from destruction in the original monster, so I think we should cut that bit out.

For the description, the 2E version has "looks like a billowing cloud of dust, with tiny, eyelike pockets of swirling particles" and 1E "billowing clouds of dust, dominated by brighter motes which are collected into the “eyes” of the creature".

The 2E version also says "It revels in the obliteration of solid objects, especially the pulverization of worked or crafted materials" and the 1E "They are rarely found in the Prime Material plane, and then only in desertlike regions where the winds have pulverized most of the earth to sand".

In addition, Dust Quasis are prone to attack those that provoke them - in 2E "if crossed, a dust quasielemental stops at nothing to slay the berk who did it harm", and in 1E "unlike other quasi-elementals and elementals, these creatures attempt to seek out the ones who have enslaved them and slay them".

I think we should work those details into the description.

How's this...

A billowing cloud of dust, with eyelike hollows that swirl with glittering motes.

Dust quasi-elementals inhabit the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, which is formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Earth. Dust quasi-elementals are living embodiments of destruction, who revel in the pulverization of solid objects, especially manufactured items. These quasi-elementals are dangerous and vengeful. They will try to destroy anyone that crosses them, but are no more evil than a tornado or mudslide.

On their native plane, dust quasi-elementals wander around without any organization or plan beyond disintegrating anything they come across. They occassionally cluster into leaderless mobs and wreak great destruction. Dust quasi-elementals are content to destroy matter whereever they happen to be. They have no interest in leaving their native plane, but if forced to do so they are just as uninterested in returning. Spellcasters tend to avoid summoning dust quasi-elementals, because the vengeful creatures attempt to seek out and pulverize anyone who attempts to capture or enslave them.

A dust quasi-elemental has the same height and weight as a X elemental of the same size.

Sorry I've been so slow posting. It's been pretty crazy this week both personally and at work. Since I'm hosting a conference in a week and a half, I'm not sure work will be much better for a while, either. :erm:

Well one can hope!

freyar

I like your description and flavor well enough, but I just want to point out that the 2nd ed version says
Ecology: Because they literally feed upon destruction, dust quasielementals are best feared and avoided, rather than dealt with. To make matters worse, the creatures’re spontaneously generated wherever great devastation occurs, so their own actions tend to create more of their kind.
That's where the bit about spawning that I write came from.

Same height and half the weight of a water elemental?

Cleon

Legend
I like your description and flavor well enough, but I just want to point out that the 2nd ed version says

That's where the bit about spawning that I write came from.

Dang it.

I'd saved that post with the 2E stats and somehow cut the last paragraph off, which is why I didn't see anything about destruction spawning when I read it.

OK, in that case we'd better add some reference to that to the text. I'm not that keen on having new quasi-elementals be born on planes other than the Quasi-Plane they're native to, though.

How about modifying the first paragraph like so:

Dust quasi-elementals inhabit the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Dust, which is formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Earth. Dust quasi-elementals are living embodiments of destruction, who revel in the pulverization of solid objects, especially manufactured items. These quasi-elementals are dangerous and vengeful. They will try to destroy anyone that crosses them, but are no more evil than a tornado or mudslide. New dust quasi-elementals occasionally spawn when a great mass of material is disintegrated on the Plane of Dust.

Same height and half the weight of a water elemental?

Well all elementals have the same height, so that's no problem.

Do you think half weight is low enough, though? They are described as billowing clouds of dust, which suggests something fairly lightweight, in between the weight of an Air/Fire elemental and a Water Elemental.

Maybe one-tenth the weight of a Water Elemental, or ten times the weight of an Air/Fire Elemental?

Hmm... I like ten times the weight of an Air Elemental.

Remove ads