Converting Planescape monsters

Idran

Explorer
Well, we already have "Ash quasi-elementals are formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire" in the description, so we should probably just adapt that. How about "Environment: The border between the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire"?

Haha, yeah, I'm probably just overthinking things is all.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think we could say the "Quasi-elemental Plane of Ash" and note in the flavor text that that's "The border between the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire." I think we've used older-edition or made-up planes before, haven't we?

Cleon

Legend
I think we could say the "Quasi-elemental Plane of Ash" and note in the flavor text that that's "The border between the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire." I think we've used older-edition or made-up planes before, haven't we?

So "Environment: Quasi-Elemental Plane of Ash (see text)."?

That'd do for me.

Cleon

Legend
That's what I'd do.

Updating the Ash Quasi-Elemental Working Draft.

I replaced the first sentence "Ash quasi-elementals are formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire" with "Ash quasi-elementals inhabit the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Ash, which is formed from the junction of the Negative Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire".

Then are we ready for the next one?

Yup!

The Dust Quasi-Elemental is the next one alphabetically. Hopefully this'll not take as long!

freyar

Hopefully not!

So, should we follow the fire elemental's HD and ability progression with some tweaks? That's somewhat between earth and air.

Cleon

Legend
Hopefully not!

So, should we follow the fire elemental's HD and ability progression with some tweaks? That's somewhat between earth and air.

Did I post their original stats? I don't fancy rummaging back through this thread to check.

The Dust Quasi-Elemental has a three-point better AC than a standard AD&D elemental (AC: -1 vs AC: 2) but has the same speed as a Fire Elemental.

So I'm thinking some combination of the 3E Air and Fire might serve well as a foundation.

freyar

Yup, the original stats are here and here. Compared to the ash quasi, it has better AC but similar everything else. But, anyway, something near a Fire elemental would work for me.

Cleon

Legend
Yup, the original stats are here and here. Compared to the ash quasi, it has better AC but similar everything else. But, anyway, something near a Fire elemental would work for me.

I had a vague recollection I'd done so, but it was almost a year ago.

Hmm, the 1E stats have a "Quasielemental, Positive" that ought to be a "Quasielemental, Negative". I'll just fix that.

Might as well start a Working Draft. I'll cut & paste the Ash Quasi for the outline and we can adjust the stats from there.

Their main schtick is a disintegrating "engulf" - I suppose we should we adapt the Ooze SA for that. They've also got a "dust storm" attack, which I feel we've done already for another monster.

Cleon

Legend

When you say "something near a Fire elemental", are you suggesting we give it the same AC-affecting stats, i.e. Dex and NA, or shall we slightly lower the Dex and raise the NA to compensate?

Remove ads