Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (3-20)?

Challenge Rating: 2 or 3? They aren't nearly as tough as an ogre with the same HD, but can fly which is a huge advantage at low levels.

Treasure: x
Treasure Type: C looks alot like standard treasure to me.

Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral?

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: +2?

An alan stands x feet tall and weighs about x pounds.

Alans speak x.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (3-20)?

I'm not that fond of "flock" for them, I prefer "Clan" like the Kenku.

How about "Solitary, pair, family (2-5) or clan (5-20)"?

Challenge Rating: 2 or 3? They aren't nearly as tough as an ogre with the same HD, but can fly which is a huge advantage at low levels.

They look more like CR 2 to me. Sure, flying has many advantages, but the Alan don't fly very fast and they have poor long-range attacks (thrown spears).

Treasure: x

Treasure Type: C looks alot like standard treasure to me.

Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral?

Yup, Standard treasure and usually CN.

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: +2?

By character class is fine, but I'd make the LA at least +3.

The standard Alan doesn't have any abilities that synergy well with its flight, but a "player character" Alan is very likely to fully exploit its Fly speed.

An alan stands x feet tall and weighs about x pounds.

How about the same size as a Tengu - 3 to 4 feet. Being flying creatures, they ought to be lightweight, so how about:

An alan stands 3 to 4 feet tall, has a wingspan of about 8 feet, and typically weighs 15 to 25 pounds.

Alans speak x.

Alan speak common and their own language.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, here's the place to put the bit about dropping on people.

Alan are smart enough to avoid a fair fight. They often hang upside down from tree branches over infrequently travelled trails, hoping to drop upon surprised victims. Once combat starts, they fight from the air, hovering above their opponents. Alan aren't above hiding from obviously superior foes, either, camouflaging entire communities among the treetops.

Cleon

Legend
Well, here's the place to put the bit about dropping on people.

Alan are smart enough to avoid a fair fight. They often hang upside down from tree branches over infrequently travelled trails, hoping to drop upon surprised victims. Once combat starts, they fight from the air, hovering above their opponents. Alan aren't above hiding from obviously superior foes, either, camouflaging entire communities among the treetops.

Surely the bit about the treetop communities belongs in their background info, not tactics. Also, the hiding bit would go well with them avoiding fair fights, e.g.:

COMBAT
Alan are smart enough to avoid a fair fight, hiding from obviously superior foes. They often hang upside down from tree branches over infrequently travelled trails, hoping to drop upon surprised victims. Once combat starts, they fight from the air, hovering above their opponents.

...Oh, and I'll call you Shirley if I want to. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Updated, with a little flavor.

Let's see...

Creature Catalog Conversions said:
This avian humanoid has the feathered wings of a bird and the body of a man. Although it only has stubby fingers on its wings, its toes are long and prehensile.

I'd add some mention of their claws to the description.

Alans are birdlike humanoids found deep in the heart of tropical and sub-tropical forests. They make their lairs in small, ornately fashioned treehouses hidden in the branches of large trees. A single tree often holds three to five such houses.

The original has a typical settlement have 3-5 houses in a tree, so I'd change the last sentence to reflect that.

Most alans are generally friendly and occasionally helpful, but are also mischeievous pranksters. Some have been known to attack lone travelers or make nocturnal raids of nearby villages.

Apart from mispelling "mischeievous" I'd tweak the wording a little. I like the bit about them having little contact with man.

How's this...

This avian humanoid has the feathered wings and scaly legs of a bird on a humanoid body. Its wings have stubby fingers and its clawed feet have long prehensile toes.

Alans are birdlike humanoids found deep in the heart of tropical and sub-tropical forests. Alans rarely meet humanoids, but are generally friendly and occasionally helpful. They are mischievous pranksters who often play tricks on intruders. Alan prefer to hide from enemies, most only fight if their homes and families are threatened. Sometimes alans are hostile, attacking lone travelers and raiding humanoid villages at night.

Most alan live in small clans. Their lairs are small, ornately fashioned treehouses hidden among the branches of large trees. A typical clan has three to five such houses in a single tree, with sentries perched in nearby trees.

An alan stands 3 to 4 feet tall, has a wingspan of about 8 feet, and typically weighs 15 to 25 pounds.

Alans speak Common and their own language.

Remove ads