Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
That works roughly. I might boost the Str a bit given that it has a good chance to break the chains. Or maybe give it a Rage ability, or both.

Hmm... it'd need at least Strength 22 to bust standard manacles' Break DC 26, or Str 26 for masterwork manacles. That's too high methinks.

Remember it'll probably have 10 primary attacks with its tentacles - do we want to give it a +6 Strength bonus to all of them?

If it bothers you, I'd rather give it a bonus to Escape Artist for being so "blobby", or possibly some "burst free from confinement" SQ.

I guess it should also have some sort of shape-changing or tentacle-growing ability.

Are you suggesting something like the Alternate Form of the Pseudonatural Creature?

Alternate Form (Su): At will, a pseudonatural creature can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against pseudonatural creatures in this alternate form.

Hmm... we could change that so instead of a morale bonus, it fluctuates in size so violently when using its alternate form that it gains a hefty racial bonus to burst out of chains, manacles, and other confinements.

That would have the benefit of sort-of-matching what happened in the adventure.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the idea of the pseudonatural-like Alternate Form with a racial or circumstance bonus to Escape Artist or vs Break DCs. That would be kind of fun!

freyar

I'll give it a shot. ;) It also needs to gain 10 tentacle attacks, and I'm not sure we want those listed in the main stat block.

Alternate Form (Su): At will, a maturing baatorian creature can sprout a grotesque, tentacled mass from its torso, but its ability scores remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. The maturing baatorian gains 10 tentacle attacks (X ft reach, +Y melee (xdy)) and a +Z circumstance bonus to Strength checks to break items.

I'm also not sure if it should be at will or triggered by stress, like an involuntary lycanthropic transformation.

Cleon

Legend
I'll give it a shot. ;) It also needs to gain 10 tentacle attacks, and I'm not sure we want those listed in the main stat block.

Alternate Form (Su): At will, a maturing baatorian creature can sprout a grotesque, tentacled mass from its torso, but its ability scores remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. The maturing baatorian gains 10 tentacle attacks (X ft reach, +Y melee (xdy)) and a +Z circumstance bonus to Strength checks to break items.

I'm also not sure if it should be at will or triggered by stress, like an involuntary lycanthropic transformation.

Hmm... I was thinking something more along the lines of:

Alternate Form (Su): At will, a maturing baatorian creature can sprout a mass of grotesque tentacles from its torso. All its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance, with the following exceptions: the maturing baatorian gains 10 tentacle attacks (as described above), plus it gains a +X racial bonus to Escape Artist checks and a +Y racial bonus to Strength checks to break free from any sort of bonds (manacles, webs, et cetera). Changing shape is a standard action.

freyar

That's fine. Where are you describing the 10 tentacles? I don't think I'd have them in the main stat block. +X = +10, +Y=+5?

What do you think about changing form involuntarily?

Cleon

Legend
That's fine. Where are you describing the 10 tentacles? I don't think I'd have them in the main stat block. +X = +10, +Y=+5?

The original monster had its 10 tentacles listed in its stat block so I was thinking of putting them in the critters Attack/Full Attack line.

It's worth noting that the original monster only had tentacles as attacks, it didn't have any punches or weapon use like a Nupperibo does.

What do you think about changing form involuntarily?

I'd rather leave it out.

freyar

Yeah, the missing natural attacks are weird. I'd almost be inclined to give them a slam or something. I guess it depends on whether we think the omission was accidental or intentional. Or just meant that the thing was tied up and could only use tentacles to attack (since it's transformed by the time it breaks out).

How were the racial bonuses?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, the missing natural attacks are weird. I'd almost be inclined to give them a slam or something. I guess it depends on whether we think the omission was accidental or intentional. Or just meant that the thing was tied up and could only use tentacles to attack (since it's transformed by the time it breaks out).

That's right... it was able to attack with its tentacles while still tied up, so maybe it just didn't bother punching its opponents as well once it had burst its chains since they are a much more effective attack.

Hmm... should we represent that mechanically somehow? Some SQ allowing it to make tentacle attacks while bound?

How were the racial bonuses?

Well ideally they need to be high enough to give it a 10% chance of bursting manacles, or possibly masterwork manacles. I'd think Kyton-made manacles are likely to be expertly made, considering the whole diabolical race is all about chains.

freyar

Hmmm, what are the rules for a bound character? Use Rope just says the checks are opposed Escape Artist vs Use Rope checks, but it doesn't say the mechanical effects of being bound. Anyway, I guess we should allow it to attack with tentacles when bound, at least if the tentacles aren't specifically bound.

Masterwork manacles have a DC 35 Escape Artist check to get out. So maybe a +20 bonus to Escape Artist given Dex 10? (It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that one of these would invest ranks in Escape Artist.) Break DC is 28 for masterwork manacles, so maybe +10 to the Str check?

Remove ads