Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Int 3 is fine by me.

Tactics: Nightmare rats attack from ambush, relying on their phantasmal killer ability to bring down prey. When confronted, however, they flee unless cornered or defending their nest.

Cleon

Legend
Int 3 is fine by me.

Updating Nightmare Rat Working Draft.

Tactics: Nightmare rats attack from ambush, relying on their phantasmal killer ability to bring down prey. When confronted, however, they flee unless cornered or defending their nest.

How about:

Nightmare rats attack from ambush, trying to bring down prey with their phantasmal killer ability. They flee if confronted, but fight viciously when cornered or defending their nest.

Cleon

Legend
That'll do.

Description: A large rat? Not sure what to say there.

A giant rat of peculiarly vile appearance. It has an air of malevolence that is almost fiendish.

Nightmare rats are supernatural entities who occasionally appear in areas where a dream dimension incurs into the material world. Some scholars believe they are an illusory manifestation of the fear of rodents, rather than "real" physical creatures. If these nasty little monsters are material creatures, they are most likely the mutated descendants of ordinary rats that somehow crossed over into a dimension of dreams.

A nightmare rat can grow to be 2 feet long [?] and weighs up to 8 pounds [?].

freyar

That looks good, including the size. It's quite big for a rat but not as big as a dire rat, so that should work.

Organization: solitary ?
CR: 1 ?

Cleon

Legend
That looks good, including the size. It's quite big for a rat but not as big as a dire rat, so that should work.

Organization: solitary ?
CR: 1 ?

I'm OK with Challenge Rating 1 but am undecided on the Organisation.

The original adventure featured a single rat, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of them being encountered in groups.

We could use a different Organisation if we wanted to, such as the "Solitary or pack (11-20)" of the SRD's Dire Rat or even the "Plague (10-100)" of the normal Rat.

Come to think of it, do Nightmare Rats even come in swarms... :devil:

freyar

The original adventure featured a single rat, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of them being encountered in groups.

We could use a different Organisation if we wanted to, such as the "Solitary or pack (11-20)" of the SRD's Dire Rat or even the "Plague (10-100)" of the normal Rat.
I think I'd go with the "Solitary or Pack (11-20)" option, maybe even add a "family (2-6)" if you like.

Come to think of it, do Nightmare Rats even come in swarms... :devil:
Only in your dreams! :p

freyar

Can't say I mind either way about the size of the family.

I think we'd agreed to cut the swim speed (but you'd leave it in your Cleon Special(TM) version).

Are they ready to go after that?

Remove ads