Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The equipment looks good. I'd say give him another message spell.

Tactics: Kamerel attack from ambush, often using mirrors to surprise their foes. The leader hangs back from combat, using spells to hamper and debilitate enemies while his underlings finish them off. Due to their xenophobic paranoia, kamerel ask for and give no quarter to non-kamerel opponents.

Cleon

Legend
The equipment looks good. I'd say give him another message spell.

Updating the Kamerel Leader Working Draft.

Tactics: Kamerel attack from ambush, often using mirrors to surprise their foes. The leader hangs back from combat, using spells to hamper and debilitate enemies while his underlings finish them off. Due to their xenophobic paranoia, kamerel ask for and give no quarter to non-kamerel opponents.

That looks OK, except I'd replace "using spells" with "casting spells".

Oryan77

Adventurer
[MENTION=18701]Oryan77[/MENTION], anything you'd like us to convert?

Always :p

These last Kamerel conversions were amusing in that I was running my game with them these past 2 months as you guys were creating them. We just finished the Mirrored Library chapter last week. I was able to use the Leader but I had to use my own selection of spells since you guys were in the middle of discussing that last detail. :) Thanks for all the hard work.

The next creature I'm planning to use is the Phlegamor's Servant. I actually just copied down the homebrew stats that Cleon made for the Phlegamor's Servant. I figured since it took so long to create a Kamerel, I won't get your official Phlegamor's Servant conversion in time for this next chapter of our game.

We play every other week. Our next game is April 4th. My players move through the game pretty damn slowly, so they might not encounter the Phlegamor's Servant's that session. I would assume that they definitely will encounter them by the session after that (April 11th). If you were able to write them up that fast, that would be awesome. If not, I do have the homebrew as a backup, so that is nice.

Cleon

Legend
These last Kamerel conversions were amusing in that I was running my game with them these past 2 months as you guys were creating them. We just finished the Mirrored Library chapter last week. I was able to use the Leader but I had to use my own selection of spells since you guys were in the middle of discussing that last detail. Thanks for all the hard work.

Ta. Those Kamerel were a bit of a pain to convert. Most of the other monsters should be easier - although the Taker of Life and Dark Dweller are also likely to be tricky.

Did you use the Mirror-Reduced Monsters or the Unchained Kyton? Both those appear in that chapter of the adventure.

The next creature I'm planning to use is the Phlegamor's Servant. I actually just copied down the homebrew stats that Cleon made for the Phlegamor's Servant. I figured since it took so long to create a Kamerel, I won't get your official Phlegamor's Servant conversion in time for this next chapter of our game.

We play every other week. Our next game is April 4th. My players move through the game pretty damn slowly, so they might not encounter the Phlegamor's Servant's that session. I would assume that they definitely will encounter them by the session after that (April 11th). If you were able to write them up that fast, that would be awesome. If not, I do have the homebrew as a backup, so that is nice.

Did you use the "Shrunken Monsters" or the "Unchained Kyton"? Both those appear in that chapter of the adventure.

That's fine by me.

My homebrew of Phlegamor's Servant presents the original stats, so it'd be easier to just quote it to start the conversion.

Original Stats
PHLEGAMORS SERVANTS (GITHYANKI OR HUMAN CORPSES): AC 5 (chain mail and shield); MV 9; HD 4+4; hp 17 each; THAC0 15; Dmg 1d4 (bare hand) or d8 (long sword); SD Immune to mind-influencing spells, poison, paralyzation; SZ M (6’ tall); ML fearless (20); Int as Phlegamor—genius (17); AL CN; XP 420 each.

Originally appeared in Tales From the Infinite Staircase (1998) in Tale 4: In Disarray.

Oryan77

Adventurer
My player's kept avoiding many of the encounters in the library (turned out to be quite a boring chapter for me to run). So I didn't get to use any other creatures other than the Rust Monster. Which it completely destroyed a players 15k gold armor. Then he tried metagaming and said, "I'm pretty sure that if you deal damage to it with a metal weapon, the weapon won't rust." I was annoyed that he tried metagaming the encounter, but it was a hilariously incorrect metagame attempt. So he lost his adamantine weapon in the same round. He's known to make a bad situation worse.

Overall I managed to use what you guys made as it was needed. So it worked out. Thanks!

Remove ads