Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
That looks good to me!

Updating Kamerel Mage.

We still have to spend the rest of the Mage's equipment budget.

So far we have.

Equipment
Budget:
5,600 gp [6th level NPC]
masterwork dagger (301 gp)
scroll of scry mirror (380 gp)
scroll of transport mirror (415 gp)
Total: 1,096 gp
Remainder: 4,504 gp

We've got enough for a few wands of 1st level spells and/or some scrolls.

I'm thinking we'd want something for offense - a wand of color spray (750 gp) or 3rd-level wand of magic missile (2,250 gp) perhaps - and something to enhance kamerel warriors, like a wand of magic weapon (750 gp) or scroll of mass enlarge person (700 gp).

Actually, according to my sums we could give him all of the above and still have 54 gold pieces left.

Any preferences?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd agree with all that, except wasn't the point of greater reduce and greater enlarge at least partly due to the fact that they aren't humanoid?

You know, looking at the enlargement ability of kamerel: it would perhaps make more sense to give them the Str +2 and Dex -2 ability changes. Otherwise, they have reduced (pun intended) reason to use the ability.

Cleon

Legend
I'd agree with all that, except wasn't the point of greater reduce and greater enlarge at least partly due to the fact that they aren't humanoid?

It's more so they can shrink monsters for it to perform their transport mirror monster abduction trick.

If you recall, Kamerel Mirror Magic consider kamerel "persons" for the purpose of person-affecting spells.

You know, looking at the enlargement ability of kamerel: it would perhaps make more sense to give them the Str +2 and Dex -2 ability changes. Otherwise, they have reduced (pun intended) reason to use the ability.

I'd rather keep it as it is to retain some distinctiveness from the enlarge person spell.

Oryan77

Adventurer
After playing our game tonight, I noticed a conflict related to how 3e works. In 3e, supernatural abilities are nullified when you hit the 5th ring of the Outlands according to the Manual of the Planes. Since the Mirrored Library is on the 1st ring of the Outlands, supernatural abilities are technically not supposed to work.

So the Pass into Reflection SU ability wouldn't work there unless there is some way around that. I figured I'd point this out in case it mattered.

Cleon

Legend
After playing our game tonight, I noticed a conflict related to how 3e works. In 3e, supernatural abilities are nullified when you hit the 5th ring of the Outlands according to the Manual of the Planes. Since the Mirrored Library is on the 1st ring of the Outlands, supernatural abilities are technically not supposed to work.

So the Pass into Reflection SU ability wouldn't work there unless there is some way around that. I figured I'd point this out in case it mattered.

I'm pretty sure that has already been mentioned in this conversion thread, but I think we decided to just forget about it.

If it bothers you, it'd be easy enough to fix - either make the kamerel's innate magical abilities (Sp) which work like 1st level mirror magic spells or keep them (Su) with a special exception that the Spire only annuls them if the kamerel's within 100 miles of it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's more so they can shrink monsters for it to perform their transport mirror monster abduction trick.

If you recall, Kamerel Mirror Magic consider kamerel "persons" for the purpose of person-affecting spells.

I'd rather keep it as it is to retain some distinctiveness from the enlarge person spell.

Actually, I did forget that. But they could use enlarge person on kamerel who don't happen to have 6HD. Without the Str bonus, they probably lose too much from the enlarge ability --- -1 to hit, -1 AC, approximately +1 to damage, but that's it.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, I did forget that. But they could use enlarge person on kamerel who don't happen to have 6HD. Without the Str bonus, they probably lose too much from the enlarge ability --- -1 to hit, -1 AC, approximately +1 to damage, but that's it.

Well how about if we just give them the Strength bonus, at least then it'll have some slight difference from the spell!

Remove ads