Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
Errgh, I'm always forgetting that since normal monsters don't have cross-class skills. Definitely let's max Craft (alchemy). I'm less sure about Know. (the planes) since I don't think kamerel travel much. What about another Craft for making magic items?

I posted a reply last night but it vanished into the Ethereal Plane, so I'll try again.

Craft is fine by me, I'm thinking either Craft (any) or Craft (glassware) would make sense.

Cleon

Legend
Since they make mirror traps, Craft (glassware) would probably make the most sense.

Okay, let's go for that.

Updating Kamerel Mage Working Draft.

EDIT: I folded the Mirror Spells description into the main Mirror Magic entry, since (a) I thought it naturally belonged there, and (b) the Mirror Safety would be between the two alphabetically, which might interrupt the reader's comprehension.

Also, I think we'd better tweak the Warrior and Driver Kamerel's entries slightly, by adding "See the Kamerel Mage for additional information on Mirror Magic" to the end.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good.

For feats, how about Craft Magic Arms and Armor for the wiz bonus and Spell Penetration, Silent Spell, and maybe Great Fortitude?

Ready for spells?

Cleon

Legend
Looks good.

For feats, how about Craft Magic Arms and Armor for the wiz bonus and Spell Penetration, Silent Spell, and maybe Great Fortitude?

Ready for spells?

I'm not sure about the magic item crafting feat, since this character is based on the "wizard" version of a Kamerel Driver, so presumably is more about supporting & commanding a group of Kamerel Warriors than making stuff for his or her people.

I'd also rather have something else instead of the Silent Spell, since I don't think the mage'd have enough spells to spare to use it.

Maybe Spell Focus or Combat Casting?

Actually, how about Hostile Mind? That'd fit nicely with their xenophobia.

I wondered about suggesting Energy Substitution, but we'd have to give him another Metamagic feat to meet the prerequisites for that.

freyar

Well, the wizard bonus has to be an item crafting or metamagic feat or else Spell Mastery. You don't seem to like any of those ideas. My thought for Silent Spell is that mirror images are silent (plus it doesn't increase the spell level much). ;) I like some of your other suggestions, though. I could see Silent Spell as the bonus, then Spell Penetration, Spell Focus (evocation?), and I think Combat Casting. I actually like the flavor of Hostile Mind, but it might require substitution in non-psionic campaigns.

Cleon

Legend
Well, the wizard bonus has to be an item crafting or metamagic feat or else Spell Mastery. You don't seem to like any of those ideas. My thought for Silent Spell is that mirror images are silent (plus it doesn't increase the spell level much). ;) I like some of your other suggestions, though. I could see Silent Spell as the bonus, then Spell Penetration, Spell Focus (evocation?), and I think Combat Casting. I actually like the flavor of Hostile Mind, but it might require substitution in non-psionic campaigns.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Wizard Bonus feats. I just couldn't find an option I really liked out of the permitted Metamagic and crafting feats.

How about Craft Wand - that's a useful way to increase magical firepower at that kind of level. We'll have a 5,600 gp equipment budget, which is enough for a minor wand or two as well as a few scrolls.

That reminds me, the Kamerel in Tales From the Infinite Staircase had a number of new magical items - the scry mirror, transport mirror, and spacial mirror. Should we stat those up?

I'd wondered about saying the Kamerel versions of many standard magical items appear as mirrors or items of glassware - so, say, a scroll of scrying becomes a shard of scrying, a small sheet of reflective glass that shatters into powder when used, but otherwise works like a scroll (or more-or-less like a scroll if we want to tweak the rules a bit).

Kind of like how the 3E Psionic Item rules had powerstones = scrolls, dorjes = wands, and psicrowns = staves.

That might make more sense than inventing a new "Craft Mirror" item creation feat for them.

freyar

That all works for me, sure. We can just add a line to Mirror Magic about the form of their "scrolls," "wands," etc. They can use the usual feats. And I'm ok with Craft Wand. Are Spell Penetration, Spell Focus (maybe evocation), and Combat Casting ok with you?

Cleon

Legend
That all works for me, sure. We can just add a line to Mirror Magic about the form of their "scrolls," "wands," etc. They can use the usual feats. And I'm ok with Craft Wand. Are Spell Penetration, Spell Focus (maybe evocation), and Combat Casting ok with you?

They'll do, although I would go along with the Great Fortitude you originally suggested if you'd prefer that over, say, Spell Focus.

How's this for the magic items addenda:

Apart from the above, items enchanted with kamerel mirror magic function identically to standard magic items. Kamerel magic items generally resemble mirrorwork or glassware instead of their standard appearance, but the difference is purely cosmetic. For example, the kamerel version of a scroll, or "shard", is a small sheet of colored glass that shatters to powder when used; and a kamerel wand is a "sending-glass" that looks like a tiny hand mirror or spyglass.

freyar

Alrighty, then, let's do Feats: Combat Casting, Craft Wand(B), Great Fortitude, Spell Penetration.

That text looks fine for magic items.

I'd go with standard treasure. And I'd think org should follow from the other kamerel we've already done.

Any thought's about spells? I'd probably stay away from enchantments, since they wouldn't want to touch others' minds. And similarly for conjuration (at least summoning) spells. Things like evocation, transmutation, and abjuration make the most sense to me.

Remove ads