D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think the defective droid background can be something simple, like "Every so often, a poorly maintained droid will break down and become defective."

Cleon

Legend
I think the defective droid background can be something simple, like "Every so often, a poorly maintained droid will break down and become defective."

A simple approach works for me. Maybe add something about environmental conditions? e.g.:

A poorly maintained droid may become defective, causing it to act erratically or even break down. This mostly happens to droids that have been exposed to the weather, since rain or windblown particles eventually wear through the droid's seals and corrode or jam delicate inner workings. Droids that work indoors in stable climate conditions rarely malfunction.

Do we want to give some actual rules for that (maybe a Con check or Fort save) or just leave it to the DM's whim?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
No, let's just leave it up to the DM. If we were to write rules, the checks should happen rarely enough that droids should turn defective in the middle of an adventure.

Cleon

Legend
No, let's just leave it up to the DM. If we were to write rules, the checks should happen rarely enough that droids should turn defective in the middle of an adventure.

Yeah, I'd rather not include specific rules.

So, shall I add the amend the Defective Droid as follows and declare it finished?

Defective Guardian Droids
A poorly maintained droid may become defective, causing it to act erratically or even break down. This mostly happens to droids that have been exposed to the weather, since rain or windblown particles eventually wear through the droid's seals and corrode or jam delicate inner workings. Droids that work indoors in stable climate conditions rarely malfunction.

A defective guardian droid has the following changes to its statistics block. Any statistic that is not listed is the same as a normal guardian droid:

Droid, Guardian, Defective
Initiative: -2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-2 competence penalty, +8 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Laser +1 ranged touch (2d6) or slam +4 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Laser +1 ranged touch (2d6) or slam +4 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Laser, defective droid
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 5/adamantine, defective droid, radarsight, radiospeech, robot traits, tracked chassis
Saves: Fort +1, Ref -1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con —, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5
Challenge Rating: 3

A defective guardian droid gains the following defective droid traits:

Cleon

Legend
Yup.

I forget, were there other droids to do?

Yes, if you look at our Mayfair Games Role Aids Monster Index thread we have the following from FEZ I: Wizard’s Vale:

8: The Persistent Droid
The droid tries to remove the outer garments of anyone who enters the closet. This droid does not have a crystal on top of its casing and is, therefore, harmless.

Servant Droid
HTK:
10 (2d8)
AC: 4
AT: None
DM: None
MV: 12”
AL: Neutral
INT: Special
Size: M
THAC0: None
Specials: only programmed to remove the outer garments of anyone entering the closet

10: A Modern Kitchen
The cooking droid cannot attack. It is programmed to prepare any meal the party requests from synthetic and powdered foodstuffs stored in the cabinets beneath the counter.

Cooking Droid
HTK:
10 (2d8)
MV: 12”
Specials: only programmed for food preparation

12: A Modern Bathroom
The droid takes care of the Sand’s Computer salesman in Area 11. It insists on giving a healing shower to anyone who is wounded; the shower cures 1d8 HTK of damage.

Valet Droid
HTK:
4 (1d8)
MV: 10”
Weapons: None
Specials: programmed to perform personal services for anyone who says the current password

I think we could treat the first two as different versions of the same creature, a Servitor Droid whose skill selection depends on its function.

The Valet Droid appears to be a more sophisticated model, though.

Remove ads