• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
Blindsight sounds better to me.

I'm preferring Blindsense, probably with a 100 ft. range like the range increment of their laser.

There's no mention of them being able to see invisible intruders, so I'm tempted to drop it.

Although come to think of it, maybe invisibility works against radar just like it does darkvision. Radio-frequency EM may pass through an invisible creature just like whatever mystic radiation darkvision uses does, resulting in a "stealthed" target.

If we follow that, we might want "Radar" that allows the droid to ignore fog and cloud when targeting opponents, which is pretty much what Radar does in real life.

Oh, and do you favour DR 5/— or 5/adamantine?

Nookie

Explorer
Ok we can figure invis works on radar, Pretty sure its not covered anywhere.

I prefer 5/adamant Dr myself. 5/- seems a bit much.

Cleon

Legend
Ok we can figure invis works on radar, Pretty sure its not covered anywhere.

So, something like this:

Radarsight (Ex):
A guardian droid possesses sophisticated microwave radar, allowing it to "see" the shape of objects and creatures. Radarsight ignores concealment caused by darkness, fog or clouds. Invisibility provides total concealment against radarsight, although the droid may still make Spot checks to notice the location of an invisible opponent.

I prefer 5/adamant Dr myself. 5/- seems a bit much.

DR 5/adamantine is OK by me.

Nookie

Explorer
Should robots have a special subtype that allows them to crited. i can see golems being immune but robots have computer and vital systems that seem more fragile than an animated slab of rock.

Maybe the robots Mindlink can only work on creatures with the robot subtype.

Cleon

Legend
Should robots have a special subtype that allows them to crited. i can see golems being immune but robots have computer and vital systems that seem more fragile than an animated slab of rock.

That's one of the things I was wondering about with the "Droid Traits" bit in Special Qualities. I'm not sure I'd make it an actual Subtype though.

Something like this:

Robot Traits: All droids have the following traits.

Vulnerability to Criticals:
A droid's delicate internal components means it takes normal damage from confirmed criticals, despite being of the construct type. Particularly robust droids may have the fortification special quality to decrease this vulnerability.

Vulnerability to Logic: Droids are immune to mind-affecting powers, but a droid with an intelligence of 3 is susceptible to logical argument. An intelligent droid can be affected by Bluff and Diplomacy checks that are based on logic. A properly functioning droid will ignore any argument that is illogical, and can not be confused by paradoxical statements such as "I am lying".

Vulnerability to Power Failure: A droid runs off some kind of power supply, and if it loses power it becomes helpless and unconscious until its power is restored. All droids have internal power reserves that allow it to operate normally for a certain period of time, normally X. A droid can adopt a power-conservation regime to extend the duration of its activities. A droid running on low power acts as if it was fatigued and consumes power at one-half its normal rate. A droid on emergency power acts as if it were exhausted and consumes power at one-quarter its normal rate. A droid on standby power can observe its surroundings and cogitate but cannot move (treat as if the droid were paralyzed) and consumes power at one-twentieth its normal rate. A droid can simply switch its own power off using emergency shutdown, becoming helpless and unconscious until it is reactivated (either by an internal timer or another creature flipping the droid's "on" switch).

Maybe the robots Mindlink can only work on creatures with the robot subtype.

Well I wasn't actually going to call it mindlink or have it work exactly like it (it shouldn't have the mindlink spell's infinite range, for a start).

More likely it'll be a "Radiospeech" special quality which can be used to talk to any other creature with "Radiospeech" that's within range.

Last edited:

Nookie

Explorer
Robot traits look good. I like the idea of a subtype but just pasting this quality on every robot we will will in escence be the same thing.

Radiospeach works for me as well.

Cleon

Legend
Robot traits look good. I like the idea of a subtype but just pasting this quality on every robot we will will in escence be the same thing.

Well, I'd be adding the text to them all anyway, so there doesn't seem much point to having a Subtype.

Any other ideas for more "robot" traits, or shall we move on to the Radio?

Hmm, looks like 'A properly functioning droid will ignore any argument that is illogical and can not be confused by paradoxical statements such as "I am lying".' is missing a comma. I'll edit the post.

Radiospeach works for me as well.

It'll need some fleshing out, but ought to be pretty simple.

Remove ads