• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You mean detect thoughts? I would probably slightly prefer it as an SLA either at will or 3/day, but I suppose I wouldn't object to the continuous version.

freyar

I guess CR 2.

Hmm, it's more intelligent than a spider, though an alien intelligence. I'd be more inclined to go with standard treasure.

Cleon

Legend
I guess CR 2.

Hmm, it's more intelligent than a spider, though an alien intelligence. I'd be more inclined to go with standard treasure.

What would it use it for?

Alternatively, is there any mention of treasure in the room it's encountered in?

freyar

It's got an alien intelligence (and Int 12). Who am I to tell it what to use the treasure for? ;) But seriously, since it's an Aberration, I just don't see any particular reason to tie the treasure value to what a vermin gets. And it's certainly smart enough to use magic items and presumably coins if it felt like trading. I'd think it should have the ability at least to understand some language(s) also.

Cleon

Legend
It's got an alien intelligence (and Int 12). Who am I to tell it what to use the treasure for? ;) But seriously, since it's an Aberration, I just don't see any particular reason to tie the treasure value to what a vermin gets. And it's certainly smart enough to use magic items and presumably coins if it felt like trading. I'd think it should have the ability at least to understand some language(s) also.

Giving it language and an interest in trading makes it too "relatable" for me. I prefer it as a bizarre alien monster.

Still, if you prefer Standard treasure I don't mind.

freyar

What about no coins, standard goods, standard items? We can note in the flavor that the items often don't seem to have any comprehensible purpose.

How about giving them the ability to understand Terran (even if you don't want them to speak it)? Umber hulks speak that (the similarity being average-ish Int underground aberrations).

Cleon

Legend
What about no coins, standard goods, standard items? We can note in the flavor that the items often don't seem to have any comprehensible purpose.

Plain Standard treasure would suit me better.

How about giving them the ability to understand Terran (even if you don't want them to speak it)? Umber hulks speak that (the similarity being average-ish Int underground aberrations).

Why would they speak Terran? I don't see anything to suggest they are Earth-related creature.

I'd be happier having them understand Abyssal and/or Infernal, or just having telepathy to understand all languages, with a note that they just don't care about talking to their "food".

Remove ads