D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
with the exception of fluff (from fabric softner :p )I think we might be ready to do the smart version.

What about Construction?

As for the fluff...

A hulking humanoid shape wrapped in mummy-like bandages. A second look reveals there is nothing living or dead inside its bandages. The creature's body is a mass of tightly wrapped cloth beneath a outer layer of rags.

A cloth golem has a humanoid body made of cloth. Its physical appearance may be a rag doll, bandage-wrapped mummy, finely dressed moppet, or whatever else its creator desires. Cloth golems cannot speak or make any vocal noise, and move in a disturbingly boneless, floppy manner.

A cloth golem weighs about 500 pounds and usually stands 8 feet tall. However, it can fold and flatten its fabric body to stand as little as 4 feet tall, or stretch itself to a height of 12 feet.

COMBAT

A cloth golem is normally instructed to grab its opponents and constrict them to death one at a time.

Construction
Stuff?

Nookie

Explorer
we could nab from the plush golem again

Construction
A plush golem’s body must be crafted from fine fabrics worth 500 gp. Creating the body requires a DC 15 Craft (weaving) check or a DC 15 Profession (seamstress) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, fabricate, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 15,000 gp; Cost 8,000 gp + 580 XP.

Cleon

Legend
we could nab from the plush golem again

Construction
A plush golem’s body must be crafted from fine fabrics worth 500 gp. Creating the body requires a DC 15 Craft (weaving) check or a DC 15 Profession (seamstress) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, fabricate, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 15,000 gp; Cost 8,000 gp + 580 XP.

The caster level and DCs appear a little high. A Flesh Golem is more powerful and CL 8th, DC 13. How about using those values instead?

The fabricate spell is higher level than the animate dead the Flesh Golem uses, and is Wizard-only. I considered swapping it for mending plus the Fleshie's bull's strength, but fabricate seems a much better fit so I think I'd keep it.

The original monster says a 3000 gp ruby is required to manufacture a Cloth Golem plus an addition cost of 1000 gp per hit point. I think I'd include a homage to that in the "improved version".

Also, "seamstress" infers that only females can be professional cloth golem makers, shouldn't it be something non-specific as to gender such as "tailor" or "sewing".

Finally, why is it even a Profession skill? Surely crafting a body should require a Craft skill?

How's this:

Construction
A cloth golem's body must be crafted from fine fabrics worth 500 gp. Creating the body requires a DC 13 Craft (weaving) check or a DC 13 Craft (sewing) check.

CL 8th; Craft Construct, fabricate, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 8th level; Price 15,000 gp; Cost 8,000 gp + 580 XP.

And for the improved version...

Construction
A [cunning?] cloth golem's body must be crafted from fine fabrics worth 500 gp. A ruby worth 1,000 gp is also required as a material spell component. Creating the body requires a DC 13 Craft (weaving) check or a DC 13 Craft (sewing) check.

CL 8th; Craft Construct, fabricate, fox's cunning, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 8th level; Price 17,500 gp; Cost 10,250 gp + 640 XP.

Nookie

Explorer
Looks good, Should the awakened version be more powerful than the non awakened version, Except for the skill points and feats.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Probably should have something else, or else there's not a big point doing it. Rather than extra powers, we could do like lifespark constructs in GR's Advanced Bestiary: let them be non-immune to mind-affecting effects (though still immune to magic as normal) and also not immune to spells that target the "soul" (astral projection, clone, magic jar, soul bind are mentioned, but still immune to magic).

Cleon

Legend
Probably should have something else, or else there's not a big point doing it. Rather than extra powers, we could do like lifespark constructs in GR's Advanced Bestiary: let them be non-immune to mind-affecting effects (though still immune to magic as normal) and also not immune to spells that target the "soul" (astral projection, clone, magic jar, soul bind are mentioned, but still immune to magic).

I'd rather it still be immune to soul-targeting spells, but have enough consciousness that it's vulnerable to mundane mind-affecting abilities such as Bluff or Diplomacy. Maybe not Intimidate - I feel it ought to be immune to fear effects regardless of their source, since its creators wouldn't want it to be afraid of its opponents when it's fighting intruders.

Nookie

Explorer
Im gonna go with cleon on this. Lifespark can always be an option if someone wants to template it or something. Being affected by the social skills works for me.

Cleon

Legend
Im gonna go with cleon on this. Lifespark can always be an option if someone wants to template it or something. Being affected by the social skills works for me.

Cunning Cloth Golem
This advanced form of cloth golem has a crude intelligence, just enough for it to understand speech and show some flexibility in following it's master's orders. This dim consciousness means a cunning cloth golem can be affected by social skills such as Bluff or Diplomacy. It is immune to fear, so Intimidation checks have no effect on it.

A cunning cloth golem can understand 1 language known to its creator, but cannot speak.

Apart from that we need some skills and feats.

Listen 5, Spot 5?
Improved Grapple, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (slam)?

Remove ads