Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
That's how I see my job here. :p ;)

I can go with that kind of racial bonus. I see that you've added a feat selection to it, too. But, truthfully, I'd prefer something like Snatch or Awesome Blow to both of those feats.

There's nothing in the original description to suggest that Super-Eels are COMBAT MONSTERS!, but I'll give you Snatch and Awesome Blow if we increase the racial bonus to Stealth skills.

Say, +4 to MS and +8 to Hide (with +12 in weeds)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
There's not much to suggest these are much of anything. :p

Anyway, we can't add Awesome Blow without Improved Bull Rush. Tell you what, I'll give you the +8 Hide (+12 in weeds) and Stealthy if you'll use Snatch for the last feat.

Cleon

Legend
There's not much to suggest these are much of anything. :p

Anyway, we can't add Awesome Blow without Improved Bull Rush. Tell you what, I'll give you the +8 Hide (+12 in weeds) and Stealthy if you'll use Snatch for the last feat.

Erm, what's the point in Snatch when they have all Constrict, Chew and Improved Grab special attacks?

freyar

You can throw things for damage if you have Snatch! :p But if you don't like that, what about a save booster like Iron Will?

Cleon

Legend
Would you prefer Lightning Reflexes? That seems sort of eelish.

Yeah, and it'd go well with the Improved Initiative.

So, we're talking something like:

Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Stealthy
Racial Bonuses: +4 Move Silently, +8 Hide (+12 Hide in weeds)
Skills Ranks: Hide 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Spot 4
Skills: Hide +7 (+11 in weeds), Listen 7, Move Silently +7, Spot +7

freyar

Yes, let's do that.

CR 6 seems a bit low compared to the giant squid or giant constrictor snake. Or the remorhaz. Shouldn't we boost it a bit; it has a lot of hp and decent special attacks.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's do that.

Updating the Super Eel Working Draft.

CR 6 seems a bit low compared to the giant squid or giant constrictor snake. Or the remorhaz. Shouldn't we boost it a bit; it has a lot of hp and decent special attacks.

Well I am game for making it CR 7 but wouldn't admit anything higher than that. The CR 6 was just an initial rough estimate.

The Giant Constrictor snake is CR 5, and the Super-Eel isn't that much better, so I wouldn't consider more than 1-2 CR higher. It's special attacks are pretty much the same. Sure it's got lots of hit points, but its superior saves are as strong an argument for a better CR. That good Will save for being Dire can make a significant difference.

A Giant Squid tends to be a lot nastier in a fight due to its multiple attacks and long reach giving it an impressive damage capacity. The Remorhaz is a better comparison - it may have less HPs, but its heat aura gives it a better damage output and an impressive weapon-melting special defense.

Hmm, shall we make it CR 7 then?

Remove ads